Solved

How to make a seat reservation for Munich - Strassbourg

• 6 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi, i am planing to go to Strassbourg using Interrail train but am struggling with the seat reservation. I have checked different websites and could not find where to reserve a seat for this trip.

Mein question is:

1. Do we really need a seat reservation for this? Because Strassbourg is a border city and it does not require any seat reservation in Germany.
  2. If yes, is there any way to reserve it? I have tried with Interrail, Deutsche Bahn, bEurope and ACP Rail and neither of them works… :(
icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 December 2021, 22:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ICE and TGV to France have mandatory reservations.

The direct TGV München - Strasbourg (and other ICE/TGV to Strasbourg) can be booked by DB but you need to go to the ticket office or call 030 2970 (you can collect at a DB ticket machine).

There are also many reservation-free options, with a regional train between Appenweier or Offenburg and Strasbourg.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi, i am planing to go to Strassbourg using Interrail train but am struggling with the seat reservation. I have checked different websites and could not find where to reserve a seat for this trip.

Mein question is:

1. Do we really need a seat reservation for this? Because Strassbourg is a border city and it does not require any seat reservation in Germany.
  2. If yes, is there any way to reserve it? I have tried with Interrail, Deutsche Bahn, bEurope and ACP Rail and neither of them works… :(

I think you can make this trip without reservation costs. You just have to avoid the ICE/TGV in cooperation  because reservation is mandatory.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

INside Germany on DB it is in principle RES-free, untill last stop in DE (click on train nr on bahn.de and see what that is, maybe Karlsruhe, maybe Offenburg). Hourly short local trains run Ofbg-Strasbourg, without any RES. As so very, very often you can avoid the costly and difficult to get RES by changing more and using slower trains. Years ago this was quite a sporty thing to do among InterRailers, but it seems it has also all vanished, together with paper printed timetablebooks and general complete reliance on the trusted own fone.