Solved

Split - Zagreb night train

Hello

We want to travel (with our two kids) on a night train from Split to Zagreb in August (on a Monday night). The reservations tool seems to say we don’t need a reservation, which I am sure is not true! We want to book a couchette room so that we can all have a bunk. 

I have spoken to the Croatian railway company HZPP, but they said that with an interrail pass we can only reserve the couchette in person at the railway station. We will only be able to get to the train station on the day we want to travel. We can’t afford not to travel that night, as we have a tight schedule the next day. 

Does anyone know if it gets full up? Is it safer to book and pay for a couchette separately? it’s not expensive as there’s a special discount currently. 

Any thoughts very welcome! 

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Claudi. 21 July 2022, 09:16

View original

14 replies

I bought an ticket+reservation in the sleeping car Osijek - Split by doing the instructions told in the bottom here, try to email and ask them, maybe it’s possible that way too. Got the ticket emailed to me two or three days after I’ve paid with my internet bank.

https://www.hzpp.hr/sezonski-vlakovi-prema-splitu-i-sibeniku?p=275

Thanks Martin! Will keep an eye out on online on the reservations and if it looks like it’s getting booked up, I will pay for a full price couchette ticket. 

I would rather have a two-bed compartment for me and my partner but maybe we can’t be that picky!

Got it! Thanks :) 

All the beds on that train are greyed out. Does that mean that they are sold out or that you can’t purchase a full priced ticket for a bed online? 

(thanks for your patience!). 

hope that you're seen that you did look for friday night / saturday arriving and did write about going on saturday (I assume you want to go saturday night / arriving sunday morning?).

Be aware that this train is not running saturday night / arriving sunday.

I can find this train online for 1am on the 14th (Sunday) arriving at 8am on Sunday. This connection works for me! 

Sorry, wrong writing above first; did edit it. It's not running sunday night. But I just wanted to be sure you're booking the correct date.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Usually it doesn’t get full (but no one can guarantee it to 100%), but as you are traveling with two kids it might be not so much fun if it doesn’t work out. Also depends on the day of the week you are traveling. Friday + Sunday are of course the most popular days.

So if the cost with the special offer is not too high, then you might risk it. There’s also the possibility to take a bus (not included in interrail) in case it is sold out...

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

If it's not available to reserve on the reservation self-service, it might be available via OBB. You can search for the journey on their website. Please remember to select Interrail/Eurail passes at “add discount” so that you pay the reduced fare. If it's also not available on OBB then the only alternative would be booking at the station. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If it's not available to reserve on the reservation self-service, it might be available via OBB. You can search for the journey on their website. Please remember to select Interrail/Eurail passes at “add discount” so that you pay the reduced fare. If it's also not available on OBB then the only alternative would be booking at the station. 

It is not possible to book this via ÖBB as it is a domestic Croatian train and they don’t allow booking it online via ÖBB. Only possible at the station as written before.

Hey! 

How did you find the night train on the reservation tool? 

I was looking for this connection on the 13th August and I can’t get any night trains to show up. I know from the man in seat 61website that this train should run. I also can’t find a link for this train on the Croatian Train Website. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey! 

How did you find the night train on the reservation tool? 

I was looking for this connection on the 13th August and I can’t get any night trains to show up. I know from the man in seat 61website that this train should run. I also can’t find a link for this train on the Croatian Train Website. 

Hey,

you can’t make this reservation on the interrail page. You have to make it a station in Croatia…

On hzpp Website it is shown:

But there you can’t buy reservation only… it is full-price ticket (113,7kn)

Hey,

you can’t make this reservation on the interrail page. You have to make it a station in Croatia…

On hzpp Website it is shown:

But there you can’t buy reservation only… it is full-price ticket (113,7kn)

Hmmm… It looks like the night train is only running on the Split - Zagreb Direction but not the other way around on the 13th. 

This is what comes up when I run the search from my side: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The 01.10am train is the nighttrain ;-) It departs so late because it starts this year from Osijek… 

All the beds on that train are greyed out. Does that mean that they are sold out or that you can’t purchase a full priced ticket for a bed online? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

It seems it is for all dates like that (at least the ones I checked). But I really wonder if it is fully booked. You could still get a couchette (with 6 beds). Wagon 40 and 41. 
Price is then around 20 euro all inclusive… not too bad IMO for a couchette including ticket. With interrail you’d probably only have to pay the reservation fee. But if you use a flexi pass, then it is still no good deal to use the Interrail pass ;-)

Hope that you're seen that you did look for friday night / saturday arriving and did write about going on saturday (I assume you want to go saturday night / arriving sunday morning?).

Be aware that this train is not running sunday.