Solved

transfer eurostar

• 20 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi we're booked from Strasbourg to Paris est on Jan 4th to arrive at 14.05 .…

However I've just realised our eurostar booking from Paris nord leaves at 15.13 …

Will that be leaving ourselves too short a time to check in for the Eurostar??

And can I change my strasbourg booking to an earlier train or do I have to cancel & rebook?? 

If I have to cancel what is the cancellation fee ??

Many thanks 

icon

Best answer by Al_G 20 December 2022, 21:36

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Eurostar say check in 90-120 mins before departure.

That's their advice to prevent that everybody comes last minute. 30 minutes is the hard limit and that's probably what it says on the reservation.

If your train is late you could have problems persuading Eurostar to let you go on the next train with so short a transfer time.

Eurostar and SNCF made this connection possible via their own data they sent to the European Timetable Centre. You are entitled to be rebooked at no costs if you miss it because of a delay.

I didn’t know the journey planners show this as a connection as it conflicts with their own guidelines!

Again, this is what Eurostar/SNCF made possible by the data they sent.

Badge +5

SNCF don’t show this as a connection their connection is the 16:13 from Gare du Nord

Badge +5

I didn’t know the journey planners show this as a connection as it conflicts with their own guidelines! If SNCF doesn’t show it though they don’t view it as advisable. SNCF and Eurostar are pretty much the same company 

Badge +5

Eurostar say check in 90-120 mins before departure. You can’t meet that! If your Strasbourg train is on time and you know the way to Gare du Nord then you’ll probably be fine. If your train is late you could have problems persuading Eurostar to let you go on the next train with so short a transfer time. There are lots of variables here so it comes down to your attitude to risk and in the worst case whether you can afford having to pay for full fare Eurostar seats which could be Business Premier at 300euros each if that’s all that’s left. You are unlikely to get a refund on your existing TGV booking but approach whoever did the booking and ask. Otherwise it’s 10 or 20 euros for the earlier train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The DB planner gives this change, which means it must be possible based on the connection times SNCF and Eurostar have included in the timetables they sent to the European Timetable Centre. Interestingly, SNCF themselves don't show this journey.

In any case, From Paris Est to Paris Nord is around 10 minutes on foot. Eurostar say the gates in Paris close 30 minutes before departure time, so that should work. They might let you in until 15 minutes before if you say your connecting train was late. If you miss the Eurostar because of a delay, they have to rebook you at no extra cost onto another Eurostar and organise accommodation if you get stranded.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Those stations are close, almost beside each other.

If your incoming train is ontime it would  be enough for the check-in, just.

I’d probably prefer a larger buffer for any delays, only as potentially missing a E* will be a massive headache.