Solved

Travel through the Baltic; are there trains between the countries?

• 21 June 2022
  • 2 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi,

I have been in the process of planning a trip that starts in Athens, Greece and ends in Vienna, Austria.

Originally, the plan was to go:

• Athens, Greece
  • Thessaloniki, Greece
  • Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Belgrade, Serbia
  • Zagreb, Croatia
  • Rijeka, Croatia
  • Vienna, Austria

However, I am not sure if there are any trains that go between the countries (Greece - Bulgaria, Bulgaria - Serbia and Serbia - Croatia). Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Thank you,

balcantraveller

P.S. Yes, I realised the difference between Baltic and Balkan but I can’t change my username nor the topic title

icon

Best answer by JamusElanus 22 June 2022, 08:48

View original

2 replies

Hi, as far as I am concerned, there are no trains runnig between Thessaloniki-Sofia and Sofia-Belgrade (see other posts around the same topic). Sadly, buses are way faster and sometimes more convenient in the south-eastern Europe. 

Jamus

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

And also NOT direct (gap of some 30/30 Km if you really want it in rails) Bgr->Zag.

Only starting from Hrvatska is it reasonable to use trains-thats far to short to make a railpass pay off-just book local or online if possible/wanted. Best site to look for what goes/howtodo and very pro-rail is seat61.com

Railfans will always find exotic methods of train to A-tiny bus to next village-taxi to border-walk over-hitchhike-taxi-train a few stops to go A->B: sensible normal people take the direct bus instead in half the time.

BalTIC are the 3 countries made loose from Rossye since the walls fell=EEstti, LV=Latvia and LT=Lietuvo=Lithuania.

BalKAN is what you mention-old Yugoslavija.

Funny thing is using train in BalTIC is just as cumbersome and non-existent as in BalKAN