Solved

unexpected reservations in train

I'm in the train and the conducteur said I needed a reservation. In the app nothing was said about a reservation (not required or recommended) what do I need to do? 

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 9 October 2022, 13:51

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That's not a reservation (that's optional in this train) but a supplement that is charged extra for the Italian part of this train. It is misrepresented in the rail planner app, as you have noticed.

Please complain to customer service:

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

If enough people complain about this, hopefully it will be corrected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In my Railplanner I clearly see that you need to pay 10 EUR + 2 EUR booking fee for that train.

It doesn't in my app, version 25.7.0.

"Seat reservations required” is also incorrect but it seems this has been changed in an incorrect way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My app version is 24.2.1 so apparently this partly incorrect information has been removed in later versions and replaced by no info at all. 

@rvdborgt

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

On which train - and where are you now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

What train?

It was the second train from Innsbruck to Venezia. it says conditions apply for when you have a one County pass but I have a global one 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt 

In my Railplanner I clearly see that you need to pay 10 EUR + 2 EUR booking fee for that train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As recent threads have shown, there is quite a lot of confusion on this service, complicated by the IR reservation service (and ECB themselves), When you buy your optional “reservation” the voucher is actually a combined seat reservation and voucher for the supplement (The seat reservation is effectively free). (Ignoring any booking fees)

Having travelled on this service and seen the trouble the inspector had trying to explain this “supplement” in many languages I can understand the confusion in this case.

If you are travelling on a pass without a reservation you have to pay this supplement. If you prepay for a reservation it includes the supplement. If you have no reservation you must pay the supplement on board. So in a sense that could be interpreted by one or both that a reservation is compulsory. No reservation you must pay on board. The toll is compulsory, even if you are standing.

BTW the inspectors have no hesitation at throwing those who will not pay off at the next stop,

If you are not expecting it it will be confusing to pass holders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As recent threads have shown, there is quite a lot of confusion on this service, complicated by the IR reservation service (and ECB themselves), When you buy your optional “reservation” the voucher is actually a combined seat reservation and voucher for the supplement (The seat reservation is effectively free). (Ignoring any booking fees)

Via Interrail.eu/Eurail.com like you showed the reservation is included. Also via ticket offices of DB and Trenitalia and online via CD. 

If you pay this fee via ÖBB the reservation is 3€ extra according to their website (3,50€ if booked at a ÖBB Ticket Office or ÖBB call center). 

@Lou Ticheler  Hello!
Please allow me to clarify that according to our timetable, (https://www.eurail.com/en/book-reservations) the ECB train has indeed optional reservations. That means you can purchase them, however, you do not have to. However, an additional supplement is necessary for this trip. You will need to pay for it before boarding or during the journey. This is an administrational/service fee.