Solved

Varenna to Tirano and replacement bus - adding the trip, first part of journey is shown as ''not in network''

We are travelling to Tirano from Varenna soon. I know all about the trackworks and there is a replacement bus. However when looking on the interrail app to add the trip it is showing the first part of the journey by train to Colico is "not in network" why is this the train is RE 10316. 

icon

Best answer by Al_G 1 July 2022, 10:22

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In this part of IT the trains have merged some time ago from state/(often strike) FS=now TrenItalia and local FNM to TreNord-it took many yrs before they even got their acts together and this is still not fully sent out to these timings collectors-happens often in IT and even more furterh south-east

So is this train not in the pass network then? Or is this a mistake due to the merging of train companies?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This train should be part of the Pass. 

If you say also the exact day, I can check this deaper.

We are going on 13 July at either 08:25, 09:54 or 10:54.

The 08:25 says its in the network but the other two aren't.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please don't use the app to plan. Never.

The bus replacement timetable is wrong for this line and the remarks "not in pass network” are also wrong. You can check the timetable on www.trenitalia.com or on www.trenord.it. In addition, there are sometimes express replacement buses with a 4 minute connection time that the app won't show with its default settings. Timetable PDF here.

I have used various ways to plan, the app is just one of them. Reason being that I don't see on those other sites anything saying these trains are in the network. So I wouldn't want to get on one with a family, only to find out they weren't in the network. This maybe an oversight with when I look at the e.g. trenord site on my part.

Does it show what is in the network on those sites? Or if not how do I confirm they are valid before travelling on them, if not with the interrail app?

The situation solved itself anyway by searching the trip in two as Varenna - Colico, Colico - Tirano and then they show the trains in network.

I would like to plan Tirano - Milano Centrale on monday 18 July. Could you double check that the 19:50 bus and connecting train is in the global pass networks? Thank you. 

I would like to plan Tirano - Milano Centrale on monday 18 July. Could you double check that the 19:50 bus and connecting train is in the global pass networks? Thank you. 

Try what I wrote above, splitting the Journey Tirano - Colico and Colico to Milan.

It showed up for me that the bus was included and every other train too.

I have no idea other than the interrail app to confirm if the trains that say not in network are in it or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have no idea other than the interrail app to confirm if the trains that say not in network are in it or not.

Ideally, the rail planner app would indeed say if the pass is valid or not. But I've seen too many instances where the app was incorrect, in both ways, so I just ignore what it says or at least verify elsewhere.

I try to verify with the local planners who operates a train (if I don't know) and then check against the included operators or country information. That's not fault-free either but more reliable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Trenord accept Interrail. That is the start and end of the story, there is no picking out individual departures on routes and excepting them.

The buses are rail replacement buses, run on behalf of Trenord for rail ticket holders, they are not normal scheduled buses that would be outside the scope of rail ticket acceptance.

Trenord accept Interrail. That is the start and end of the story, there is no picking out individual departures on routes and excepting them.

The buses are rail replacement buses, run on behalf of Trenord for rail ticket holders, they are not normal scheduled buses that would be outside the scope of rail ticket acceptance.

I just looked on Trenord for the trains Varenna to Colico and there seems to be two different trains in each hour. The one with the symbol RE seems to be ok and in between each of those the train symbol is a green R symbol. This is the one that is coming up not in network. What is the difference and should  the "R" train be in the network?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

RE is Regionale Express (local train that stops only in a few stations) and R ist Regionale wich stops at every station. Both are part of Interrail/Eurail Pass network. 

The only trains that are not part are to Milan Airport Malpensa (Malpensa Express MXP)

RE is Regionale Express (local train that stops only in a few stations) and R ist Regionale wich stops at every station. Both are part of Interrail/Eurail Pass network. 

The only trains that are not part are to Milan Airport Malpensa (Malpensa Express MXP)

Thanks

I forgot to ask this.

If the regionale is all ok with the pass but shows on the mobile app as not in network, do I swipe the journey on the app as normal or add it manually.

The journey is Varenna to Colico 09:54 this morning (13/7) Re 10316

Tia