Solved

When I am going to make a reservation by Eurail, it is not clear what I should fill in the first two fields

• 22 October 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi community,

What should I fill in the first two fields that I highlight in green in the following image, when I request that reservations be sent to a Hostel.

For example, can I put the name of the hostel in the first field and my name in the second field?:

First Field: Hostel YYYY
Second Field: My full names and surnames: Iván Fernando Peluha.

As a shipping address I would put the Hostel in Spain.

This is how it should be processed? I must validate this because if I fill it out wrong I can lose the reservation.

I’ll be waiting for an answer and thank you very much.

icon

Best answer by Claudi. 23 October 2022, 10:31

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Tip: there are many other ways to make these pesky RES by yourself an without this pesky mail service. READ the long list by seewulf-it is different per country, but it is also cheaper.

First try if other ways work.

Thank you very much for your anser.  I already tried other ways but in spain is different, I have no more options.

Please what should I fill in the first two fields of the reservation form of Eurail, when I request that reservations be sent to a Hostel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There has been quite some problems with reservations sent to hostels/hotels when no one has been able to sign for the reservation. As the reservation is sent by registered mail you need to make sure that you have checked that you enter the name of a person that will be able to collect the reservation.

However, the best is if you can make the reservation elsewhere and get the reservation via email.

What route are you making a reservation for?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

AnnaB, the route I am making for a reservation is from Barcelona-saints (Spain) to Paris-Gare de Lyon (France) by TGV train of RENFE for two people (my son and I) on 18/11/2022.  I understand that route can be very demanded and in spain there are no reservations by email, so if I wait until I arrive in Europe (spain) to book it, the train may run out of seats,  and my travel plan may be seriously affected.

AnnaB, also, I arrive in Spain on 14/11/2022, is it very possible that the 18/11/2022 Barcelona - Paris train will not be filled, so I can book it in a train station of Madrid on 11/14/2022 without problems when arrive to spain?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Ivan Peluha To answer your original question. First of all you need to check with the hostel that it is ok that they will collect the reservation for you. It might also be wise to check how it works with registered mail in Spain.

Then you need to ask the hostel for the name of the person that will collect the reservation for your and what address you should use for the delivery.

As the reservation will be sent through registered mail it is important that you get everything correct. If the delivery isn't collected within 7-14 days (differs between countries) it will be sent back to Eurail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is information about the known ways to make a reservation on the TGV between Spain and France. 

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105/index2.html?postid=18423#post18423

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Before you enter the shipping details, please contact the hotel/hostel where you'll be staying and double check whether they are willing to receive registered mail on your behalf. All reservation paper tickets are sent by registered mail which requires a signature upon delivery and most paper tickets get returned to us because there is no one available to sign for the package. After the hotel has confirmed, please ask them if there is a specific concierge or C/O that is responsible for your own reference. In the first field, you can fill out the hotel name and in the second field please fill out your own name. Double check all postal details for accuracy. You will receive a track and trace code via email as soon as we've shipped your tickets. It is highly advisable to make this reservation in advance. As many other members have pointed out, there are alternative methods to reserve this route such which you can find on this post