Solved

local currency

Hi there, the last time I spent a long duration in Europe was over 25 years ago, and at that time I carried cash with me and credit cards. These days, I’m mostly cashless, but I would like to have some local currency with me on this trip – all countries will either take the British pound or the euro. I’ll primarily be using my credit card – I hope - on this trip as that is the easiest from my perspective. But does anybody have any recommendation on how much cash per day I should have just for incidentals? Assuming England, France, Italy, Croatia, and Greece will except a credit card, and I won’t need much cash on hand? Thank you in advance for any help

icon

Best answer by ralderton 1 May 2024, 21:16

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It varies. I think of those, Greece is the most likely country to prefer cash, followed by Italy and Croatia.

Definitely you should expect some small bars and shops to be cash only. Big tours attractions will accept card  Accommodation, if it’s local B&B type, will want cash

I tend to take out €90 in cash from an ATM (more likely to get small bills that way) then resupply as necessary.

Edit to add: Sorry, I didn’t answer your question! It’s hard to budget for someone else, without knowing if you’re buying a €1 espresso or 4x €5 lattes a day, and taking taxis or getting the bus, but €100 will last me 3-7 days in those countries.

Thanks that is most helpful!