Solved

USING EURAIL PASS FOR THE FIRST TIME

Badge

We will use our Global 1st class EURAIL pass for the first time on 07 May. We are using the rail planner app and have planned a trip from Paris Gare de Lyon to Mulhouse Ville. Seat reservations are required and we have booked seats and printed the confirmation. We are seniors and have not travelled with a EURAIL pass previously. We will take the train from Chatelet Les Halles to Gare de Lyon (I don’t believe that I can use the EURAIL pass for this trip. Please confirm that this is the case). My question is about what we need to do when we get to Paris Gare de Lyon. Who/Where do we present our mobile pass? We do not speak French and do not want to miss our train. I am sure that there will be people at the station who can help us but I would like to know in advance what to do. Thank you for your assistance. 

icon

Best answer by Schelte 3 May 2024, 07:44

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

We will take the train from Chatelet Les Halles to Gare de Lyon (I don’t believe that I can use the EURAIL pass for this trip. Please confirm that this is the case).

Eurail is indeed not valid on RER in Paris. You'll need regular tickets

My question is about what we need to do when we get to Paris Gare de Lyon. Who/Where do we present our mobile pass? We do not speak French and do not want to miss our train. I am sure that there will be people at the station who can help us but I would like to know in advance what to do. Thank you for your assistance. 

You'll have to show the active pass together with your reservations when asked for your ticket, possibly already when trying to access the platform or possibly only once on board. Count on showing both, but it's likely they want to see the reservation first.

Most SNCF staff in my experiences speaks English, so language shouldn't be an issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There’s a good guide to Gare de Lyon station here:

https://www.seat61.com/stations/paris-gare-de-lyon.htm

When you’ve arrived on the RER from Châtelet-Les Halles, just follow the signs for Grandes Lignes (mainline trains) to reach the main station concourse. There, you’ll find departure boards showing the platform for your train.