Solved

Britain Country Pass includes Eurail?

Badge

We're planning a trip from Amsterdam to visit the UK.  If we buy global passes for the UK, is the Eurostar included, since it's travel to/from our home country (NL) ?  Anything special needed to know on booking reservations on Eurostar?

Also, if we buy first class passes, will that translate to Standard Premier on Eurostar?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 5 May 2024, 12:07

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you buy a Global Pass yes Eurostar is included.

You need a 30€ reservation from Brussels to London or 35€ from Amsterdam/Rotterdam to London (37€/43€ in Standard Premier). You must book as soon as your dates are set: it's a very popular route and there's a passholder quota (unique).

Note that due to works in the security terminal in Amsterdam trains are only doing London -> Amsterdam. In the other direction you must change in Brussels to pass security.

My advice would be to take the hourly IC Direct from the Netherlands to Brussels and then the expensive Eurostar.

Feel free to ask anything.

EDIT: Let me suggest the Hoek van Holland - Harwich Stena Line ferry too. It's a convenient way to cross the North Sea (daytime and overnight crossing). More: https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/london-to-amsterdam-by-ferry.htm

Badge

Thani you most kindly.  I see that I may book my reservations on b-euope.com.  That's clear.   

The ferry looks grand, but I assume they won't give an interrail discount… have been reading the website but do not see any reference to Interrail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thani you most kindly.  I see that I may book my reservations on b-euope.com.  That's clear.   

The ferry looks grand, but I assume they won't give an interrail discount… have been reading the website but do not see any reference to Interrail.

Stena do offer a small % discount, this is only on the base fare, not additions such as cabins.

Use code EURAIL2024 on Stena website

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes there's a 30% discount on the base fare (now only 20% in summer). The overnight crossing is a good way to avoid an expensive night in the UK, that's what I did!

B-Europe has a 4€ fee while Rail Europe doesn't but both options are fine yes! You can also manage your seats on eurostar.com afterwards.

Enjoy! :)

Badge

Brilliant !!!   I shall, then !   

Badge

Booked Stena Line.  Awesome !   For anyone who has taken this journey from Hoek van Holland to Harwich, does one go through customs & immigration in Harwich or on the NL side?   And… how much time ought I leave for that process… an hour ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Check-in closes at 21:15 (for the 22:00 departure). You should arrive at around 8-8:30pm to pass security and immigration. You’ll have access to your cabin straight away anyway. :)

Schengen/Dutch immigration is in Hoek, British one in Harwich.

Badge

Contacted Stena to find out more about the check-in times.   It's a night voyage, and I'd like to dine on board.  

"The check in is between 18:15 and 20:30 in Hoek of Holland.

As soon as you are on board the restaurant will be open.”

Great to know that one can have a proper dinner and relax for the evening!

The minimum time to come to Hoek van Holland from Amsterdam Centraal is 90 minutes, with three changes (thanks, NS!) So I'd get a train from Amsterdam at about 1600, or even earlier, to allow time for missed changes and the usual bus replacements & cancelled trains.   

Looking forward to it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

To be clear: one country passes do not include travel to & from the country of choice, only travel within the country (with some exceptions, particularly for the German one). 

A global pass covers all Interrail countries and does include two travel days in the country of residence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can do Amsterdam - Hoek with a single change, as suggested by The Man in Seat 61.

- IC Amsterdam Centraal - Schiedam Centrum

- Subway B Schiedam Centrum - Hoek van Holland Interrail not valid -> tap on/off with a contactless card, it's the easiest.

It's only slightly slower than the high-speed line to Rotterdam but there are no changes.