Solved

The Reservation system is still down for everyone right?

I’ve been trying to book something in France for the better part of a week and I keep getting the notification on the top of the page that it’s not working. What's an alternative way to make French train reservations with a US credit card?

It says 'Prices temporarily unavailable. Check back in a few hours to see prices and book this seat reservation.' And it has for a while now. But when you go to the alternative options it offers you, you get this:

'Others ways to book this seat reservation

• Book in person at a main station in Europe
  • Book online at travel.b-europe.com
  • Reservations for domestic trains by phone through "Ligne Directe" 36 35. Call centre does not accept US Visa and Master Cards credit cards'

When I tried the site travel.b-europe.com I'm pretty sure it's connected to Eurrail and down too. Because no reservations on any day are available. The phone number is not an option because of my US cards. So then that leaves 'main station in Europe.' Currently in the Balkans where trains are...let's say not necessarily a thing. And I won't be getting to a main station for another five days when I get to Vienna. 

So are there any other options for getting reservations on trains from Monaco to Montpellier-Saint-Roch?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 3 May 2024, 18:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Try https://www.raileurope.com/en (desktop version, no fees). The website should work flawlessly.

The Interrail/Eurail booking system is often buggy but looks like it's more than usual at the moment…

Here's a general guide for the best places to book: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Monaco - Marseille is easily doable reservation-free, it doesn't take longer either (no high-speed tracks).

For further questions mention travel date.

I’m trying to book for May 16th and get there by 1PM or so. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

(Are you the person that asked the same question on Reddit yesterday?)

First train: reservations not possible. Log the train on Rail Planner as usual and hop on.

Second train: SNCF doesn't want Nice - Marseille travellers so they only sell Nice - Paris tickets/reservations. Book Nice - Paris and leave the train in Marseille, no one will bat an eye.

Otherwise take the 08:25 TER to Marseille, the 14 min connection should be fine (even though you may be connecting to Barcelona = it's a little risky but there is a later TGV in case).

Third train: book through Rail Europe (desktop version, no fees) as I suggested above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

When I tried the site travel.b-europe.com I'm pretty sure it's connected to Eurrail and down too. Because no reservations on any day are available. The phone number is not an option because of my US cards. So then that leaves 'main station in Europe.' Currently in the Balkans where trains are...let's say not necessarily a thing. And I won't be getting to a main station for another five days when I get to Vienna. 

So are there any other options for getting reservations on trains from Monaco to Montpellier-Saint-Roch?

The travel.b-europe website and Eurail use the same system to book reservations. So both could have the same problems.

For reservations use rail europe like thibcabe says. 

You could check in the railplanner app for trains without reservations to look for a connection without reservations till Marseilles. 

I often use DB Navigator app or ÖBB Scotty. Where you can select the trains that should be shown.