How to get Reservations :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Please read first and if you still have questions start a own topic to keep this post as Informationpost as clean as possible.

This post is made by @rvdborgt  @AnnaB@runner.on.rails  @Angelo and myself. 

Planning/Timetables:
Many of you will notice that the Railplanner of Eurail will have sometimes different times of the trains as other Websites/Apps. Or evenworse the railplanner wont show any train for your desired Route. The Railplanner of Eurail only shows the timetables that are shared by the Railcompanies unfortunately not all Railcompanies share these and even update it not frequently. The Result is that the Railplanner of Eurail is not always uptodate and because ofthat I and other experienced travelers recommend to use the Local Websites and Apps to check the times and even book the reservations with them (when possible).

Below here finally the main words :D
Hi if you are useing a Railpass there will be the point that a train needs a Reservation 🙂 Many of you ask where to get a reservation for a specific train.

First of all there are 2kinds :)
Supplements like the Intercity Direct in Netherlands or the German/Austrian - Italian Supplement on Eurocity & Railjets that have to be paid and doesnt include a seat :/.

And Seatreservations like the TGV,Eurostar or Thalys that include in the supplement fee even a seat reservation.

There are several ways reserve a seat :)
A. on the Website of the Traincompany that operate the train.

B. at the trainstation (On major stations you have “International ticket desks” they often can reserve even trains in a different country for example you can reserve your TGV from Munich to Paris already in Prague 🙂 )

C. Via the Railplanner app of  Eurail itself :)  a small service fee will be charged

D. Via the booking Callcenter of a traincompany.

E. Via a Reservation service website or a well experienced Railagency :)

More informations provided by the Man on Seat 61 :) 

General Websites to reserve trains here you can find out which websites can help you. 

We highly suggest to confirm the times of your trains in the Railplanner with Local Railplanner apps or atleast with one of the major ones. I general i recommend even to plan your trips with these app instead of Railplanner.

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm a good helpfull website of Mark Smith.

Manuals for several websites.

German Rail 🇩🇪

Daytrains on oebb.at (Not for Italy) 🇦🇹

Bordercrossing Eurocity/Railjet Italy - Austria/Germany  🇦🇹🇩🇪 - 🇮🇹

Italian Daytrains booked via oebb.at 🇮🇹

Nighttrains on oebb.at (Several Routes)

Reservation within the UK (by rvdbrgt)
🇬🇧

Reservation of Caledonian Sleeper (by rvdbrgt) 🇬🇧

Reservations for Trains in Spain (by rvdbrgt) 🇪🇸

Reservation for the International TGV/AVE France - Spain (by rvdbrgt) 🇲🇫🇪🇸

Reservations on the website of Hungarian Rail 🇭🇺

Reservations on the Website of Czech Rail 🇨🇿

Reservation on the Website of Swedish Rail 🇸🇪

Reservations within Denmark + Denmark - Hamburg 

Domestic Reservations within Poland (just 30days in advance)

Thalys, Eurostar, TGV France - Belgium 

TGV France to Luxembourg & Germany 

TGV France - Switzerland 

Reservations France - Italy 

Greek Rail 

Reservations Switzerland - Italy 

Croatian Reservations 

Turkih (Turkey) Reservations 

@rvdborgt  @AnnaB  many others and myself will try to keep this uptodate and help as much we can with  advices :)

Kind Regards.

85 replies

About SJ-reservations:
It is currently possible to use any pass-number in the NEW system (4th June or later). I just used “1”. This is fine for a test-booking, but for a real reservation you should use a real number, since it is printed on he ticket.

There is a few other differences on the old and new system. I wrote a guide in another topic (with focus on night trains): 

Swedish Trains via SJ.se (Swedish Rail)

Now enter your PassCoverNumber (MobilePass user can request one from Customer Service) The checking prices the system accept I (India) + 8numbers (Interrail) or E + 8numbers (Eurail)

The PassCoverNumbers I12345678 and E12345678 no longer work and always show “The travel card isn't valid on this date”. I tested around with a currently bought Mobile Pass and when it’s number (6 digits numbers and upper letters) is added it shows the correct prices. The pass was NOT activated yet, but is is valid until next year.

Additionally the same pass number cannot be entered twice if bookings for 2 people are searched.

I did not yet detect a working schema to test bookings so I assume a valid mobile pass is needed to get the correct prices for now.

Update: SJ is rolling out a new booking system for bookings starting with 5th June 2024. In the new system the paper pass numbers work again.

Swedish Trains via SJ.se (Swedish Rail)

Now enter your PassCoverNumber (MobilePass user can request one from Customer Service) The checking prices the system accept I (India) + 8numbers (Interrail) or E + 8numbers (Eurail)

The PassCoverNumbers I12345678 and E12345678 no longer work and always show “The travel card isn't valid on this date”. I tested around with a currently bought Mobile Pass and when it’s number (6 digits numbers and upper letters) is added it shows the correct prices. The pass was NOT activated yet, but is is valid until next year.

Additionally the same pass number cannot be entered twice if bookings for 2 people are searched.

I did not yet detect a working schema to test bookings so I assume a valid mobile pass is needed to get the correct prices for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservations Belgrade - Bar

Reservations for the night train can be booked via e-mail:

A reservation from Belgrade can be booked by sending an e-mail to rezervacija.karata@srbvoz.rs, which you can then pick up at the station.

A reservation from Bar or Podgorica (maybe also from other stations) can be booked by sending an e-mail to info@zpcg.me, which you can then pick up at the station.

Maybe this also works for reservations for the day train. Let me know whether it does.

!Please ask questions in a new topic, to not overload this one!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@thibcabe eu baixei o APP, mas quando seleciono minha rota em um campo pergunta qual o cartão de desconto, mas não tem o eurails como opção.

Vou abrir uma pergunta pra mim lá. Se puder ajudar 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Please create your own topic to get better advice.

There are no night trains from Spain to France, however there are some leaving right at the border (Hendaye, Latour-de-Carol, Cerbère).

For timetables it's best to use DB Navigator app or bahn.com -> reliable and connected to the European-wide database. Some companies (notably RENFE) share their timetables quite late.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Olá! Como consigo encontrar mais trechos de Madrid - paris (noturno)? Ou durante o dia mesmo! Não sei onde fazer o pagamento após a reserva. 

Só sei pesquisar pelo próprio APP, pois quando vou nos sites das próprias ferrovias não encontro o local para informar que tenho um pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For Italy it is best to use tickets.oebb.at : no booking fee at all. Add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

The only exception is domestic night trains which are best bought on italiarail.com

I’m not sure if anyone else has posted this, but there’s this website through ItaliaRail that allows you to book reservations for Italy trains with the EuRail pass. It specifies the trains where you need a reservation or not and the times are more extensive than on any other site I’ve checked.

https://partners.italiarail.com/default?force_pass=true&aff=EURAIL

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Domestic trains in Turkey

Reservations are free of charge (except for couchettes or sleepers) and can only be obtained at a ticket office in Turkey.

To book trains in advance, TCDD customer service (cozum@tcddtasimacilik.gov.tr) recommend to buy full price tickets at bilet.tcdd.gov.tr, and then exchange them for free reservations at a TCDD ticket office. Full price tickets can be fully refunded until 15 minutes before departure, and for 80% after that.

To Make Reservations in Greece via Email

I don’t want to mess up this overview, but don’t see another way than replying in this topic - So you may delete my remark and add it it to the original post 

Thanks for your explanation. So I followed the steps (little change in website; there are 2 forms now: generaal info and complaints) and got an answer back: Unfortunately I can’t make reservations this way. I have to do it locally at the train station. So we will see next week - I hope I can do at least all my reservations at 1 place

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Domestic trains in Croatia

Reservations for domestic journeys in Croatia can be made at a Croatian ticket office or by email, for seats, couchettes or sleepers (e.g. the night train Zagreb-Split). To book, send an email to rezervacije@hzpp.hr, max. 2 months in advance. Payment is done with a bank transfer, which means this works best with bank accounts from SEPA countries.

For journeys from 1 July 2023, seat reservations for day trains Zagreb-Split can also be made on tickets.oebb.at (€3, 2nd class only).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Reservations for trains Italy-Austria-Germany, Italy-Austria and Italy-Slovenia

There are some Routes to get from Italy to Austria and Germany. You can travel via Brenner pass or via Tarvisio and Villach. For rides Italy-Germany via Switzerland check here

For rides to Slovenia you can travel via Trieste and Villa Opicina. Or via Gorizia/Nova Gorica.

Interrail/Eurail Global Pass is valid. One Country Passes are only valid in ONE COUTRY. Interrail/Eurail German Rail Pass is valid in Germany and to the train stations in Austria of Salzburg HBF (main station) and on DB-ÖBB Eurocity trains in Austria and Italy between Munich-Innsbruck-Bolzano/Bozen-Trento-Verona-Bologna/Venezia.

To use the EC, RJ and RJX you need for the italian part to pay a supplement. You can often avoid it using local trains instead on the same route. 

DB-ÖBB Eurocity (EC) and Railjet (RJ) Munich-Innsbruck-Verona-Bologna/Venice,

ÖBB Railjet Xpress (RJX) Bolzano/Bozen-Vienna and

ÖBB Railjet (RJ) Venice-Villach-Klagenfurt-Vienna

The DB-ÖBB EC and RJ trains are run by a collaboration between DB and ÖBB, also in Italy. The RJ from Vienna to Italy by ÖBB. They ask a supplement for rides in, to and from Italy. For rides from/to the border station Brennero/Brenner or Tarvisio Bosco Verde from/to Austria and Germany no supplement needed. 

Reservations:

• optional

Supplement for rides to/from/in Italy:

• compulsory
  • 10 EUR in 2nd class
  • 15 EUR in 1st class - 1st class pass needed!

You get a reservation for free included in the supplement (except 2nd class booking via ÖBB). 

Where to buy the supplement and reservations:

Supplement (compulsory) and reservation (optional) for rides in Italy and Italy-Austria-Germany

• ÖBB online using this tutorial, no booking fee. You have to click on “one way ticket and day tickets” and not on seat only and add Interrail/Eurail - Globalpass as discount. (reservation cost on top 3 EUR/train, included for free in 1st class)
  • CD online book a normal ticket adding Interrail/Eurail as discount (reservation included)
  • ÖBB ticket office or call center (reservation cost on top 3,50 EUR/train, included for free in 1st class)
  • Deutsche Bahn ticket office or call center (reservation included)
  • Interrail.eu/Eurail.com reservation service (+ 2 EUR/train booking fee - reservation included)
  • On board of the train (maybe you pay a fee on top of the supplement)
  • Ticket offices of CD, SNCB/NMBS, SBB CFF FFS, NS International and other railway companies in middle Europe. 

Reservations (optional) for rides in Austria, Germany and AT-DE.

• Deutsche Bahn online seat reservation option, ticket office or call center (4,90 EUR/journey 2nd class; 5,90 EUR/journey 1st class; 9,80 for a Family reservation)
  • ÖBB online seat reservation option, ticket office or call center (3 EUR/train online, 3,50 EUR/train)
  • CD online seat reservation option and ticket office (72 CKZ/train)
  • Interrail.eu/Eurail.com reservation service (6 EUR + 2 EUR per train)
  • Ticket offices of SNCB/NMBS, SBB CFF FFS, NS International and other railway companies in middle Europe. 

Do you have a Interrail One Country Pass valid only for Italy or Austria? You have to pay from the border a normal ticket or via interrail.eu or ticket offices a partial pass fee. Interrail/Eurail Global Pass and German Rail Pass valid on all DB-ÖBB Eurocity trains. Not valid on other trains outside Germany.

conditions: 

https://www.obb-italia.com/de/angebote/interrail-eurail

how to avoid this supplement?

You can often avoid this supplement if you will only go to stations that are not far from the border to Austria in Italy. Like Udine or Bolzano/Bozen. In this cases the supplement is to much for short rides.

• Villach-Tarvisio-Udine(-Trieste) line use the Micotra local trains instead. Reservation needed (or optional??) but it is free via tickets.oebb.at. No supplement needed. https://www.obb-italia.com/de/ab-italien/micotra
  • Brennero/Brenner you can use the Eurocity till Brennero/Brenner or get there by local trains and change in Brennero-Brenner to local trains in Italy*. Reservation or supplement not needed. Local trains (R - regionale) run hourly. *Trains operated by SAD on lines where also Trenitalia trains are running are not included in the pass. But often they accept it. 

LAST UPDATE: 18 APR 2024 - All information is provided without warranty

Eurocity Trieste-Ljubljana(-Vienna)

there is ones a day a direct train between Trieste, Ljubljana and Vienna. The ÖBB Online Shop shows a supplement of 2,70 EUR. But no official information is know by the train company ÖBB Italia that runs this train in Italy.

Reservations are optional.

There are also 2 local trains that run on this route, one bound to Udine. No supplements or reservations possible. 

LAST UPDATE: 16 APR 2023 - All information is provided without warranty

Train change between Gorizia and Nova Gorica

There is no passenger trains between Gorizia (Italy) and Nova Gorica (Slovenia), but you can go by walk, bus or taxi from one part of the city to the other. 

LAST UPDATE: 16 APR 2023 - All information is provided without warranty

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Deleted

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Reservations for trains (Vienna/Innsbruck/Munich/Zürich/Basel-)Frankfurt-Cologne-Düsseldorf-Utrecht-Amsterdam

There are some routes to get from Switzerland and Germany to The Netherlands and Amsterdam. Your Interrail/Eurail Global Pass is valid. One Country Passes are only valid in ONE COUTRY.

Intercity trains in The Netherlands, except IC trains to Germany and Switzerland and IC Direct Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Antwerp-Brussels can’t be reserved. Only add the train to your pass and hop on the train!

Attention: FLX = Flixtrain is not included in your Interrail/Eurail pass. Choose another train.

ICE International (Basel-)Frankfurt-Cologne-Amsterdam

Reservations:

• compulsory reservations: between 17 June and 18 August 2023 for rides to/from The Netherlands
  • optional reservation: rest of the year

Cost of the Reservation:

• DB 4,90 EUR per journey 2nd class
  • DB 5,90 EUR per journey 1st class 1st class pass needed or upgrade
  • ÖBB 3 EUR per train
  • CD 72 CZK per train
  • DSB 30 DKK per train
  • SBB 5 CHF per train
  • SNCB/NMBS 6 EUR per train
  • NS International 4 EUR per journey
  • Interrail/Eurail reservation service 6 EUR + 2 EUR booking fee per train

Where to buy reservations:

• DB only* at ticket offices or call center during the compulsory reservation this summer for rides to/from The Netherlands. Outside this period possible also via bahn.com
  • ÖBB online shop.oebbtickets.at using the option seat reservation only
  • CD online cd.cz using the option seat reservation only
  • DSB online via travel.b-europe.com/dsb-rail 
  • Interrail.eu/Eurail.com reservations service (+ 2 EUR booking fee/seat)
  • Ticket offices of DB, ÖBB, CD, SBB CFF FFS, SNCB/NMBS, NS International and other railway companies in middle Europe. 
  • Call Center of DB, ÖBB, CD, SBB CFF FFS, SNCB/NMBS and NS International.

Do you have a Interrail/Eurail One Country BeNeLux? Or German Rail Pass? You have to pay from the border a normal ticket or via interrail.eu or ticket offices a partial pass fee.

conditions: 

LAST UPDATE: 20 JUN 2023 - All information is provided without warranty

IC/NJ Amsterdam-Basel-Zürich, IC Amsterdam-Osnabrück-Hannover-Berlin and NJ Amsterdam-Innsbruck/Munich/Vienna

Reservations:

• compulsory reservations: for couchettes and sleeper cars on Nightjet services Amsterdam-Basel-Zürich and on seat, couchettes and sleeper cars for Nightjet service Amsterdam-Innsbruck/Vienna
  • optional reservation: for seat cars on IC/NJ Amsterdam-Zürich and IC Amsterdam-Berlin

IC Intercity train:

• DB online bahn.com seat only option or DB Navigator App, at ticket offices or call center (4,90 2nd class/jounrey; 5,90 1st class/journey)
  • ÖBB online shop.oebbtickets.at using the option seat reservation only (3 EUR/train Online)
  • CD online cd.cz using the option seat reservation only (72 CZK/train)
  • DSB online via travel.b-europe.com/dsb-rail (30 DKK/train)
  • Ticket offices of DB, ÖBB, CD, SBB CFF FFS, SNCB/NMBS, NS International and other railway companies in middle Europe. 
  • Call Center of DB, ÖBB, CD, SBB CFF FFS, SNCB/NMBS and NS International.

NJ nightjet train:

• ÖBB online shop.oebbtickets.at using this tutorial, no booking fee. You have to click on “one way ticket and day tickets” and not on seat only and add Interrail/Eurail - Globalpass as discount
  • Ticket offices of SBB CFF FFS, ÖBB, DB, SNCB/NMBS, NS and other railway companies in middle Europe. 
  • Call Center of SBB CFF FFS, ÖBB, DB, SNCB/NMBS and NS.

Do you have a Interrail/Eurail One Country BeNeLux or Austria? Or a German Rail Pass? You have to pay from the border a normal ticket or via interrail.eu or ticket offices a partial pass fee.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Reservations for trains Italy-Switzerland(-Germany)

There are some Routes to get from Switzerland to Italy. Your Interrail/Eurail Global Pass is valid. One Country Passes are only valid in ONE COUTRY.

Reservations:

• compulsory reservations: Italy and Switzerland-Italy
  • optional reservations. Switzerland and Germany

Border stations:

• Chiasso (in Switzerland) on the Route Milan-Gotthard Base Tunnel-Zürich/Basel
  • Domodossola (in Italy) on the Route Milan-Simplon Tunnel-Geneve/Bern/Basel

For example if you travel from Domodossola to Geneve or Basel the reservation is optional, because you enter the train in Domodossola as a border station and it counts as Switzerland (but the city and the station is in Italy). If you enter in Milan the reservation is compulsory.

Cost:

• 13 EUR for rides in Italy
  • 11 EUR for international rides in 2nd class Italy-Switzerland(-Germany)
  • 13 EUR for international rides in 1st class Italy-Switzerland(-Germany) 1st class pass needed!
  • for rides in Switzerland, in Germany and CH-DE reservation optional, 5 CHF/seat via SBB or 4,90 EUR/journey 2nd class and 5,90 EUR/journey first class via DB.

for rides in Italy and Italy-Switzerland(-Germany)

• ÖBB online shop.oebbtickets.at using this tutorial, no booking fee. You have to click on “one way ticket and day tickets” and not on seat only and add Interrail/Eurail - Globalpass as discount
  • Ticket offices of Trenitalia, SBB CFF FFS, ÖBB, DB, SNCB/NMBS, NS and other railway companies in middle Europe. 
  • Call Center of SBB CFF FFS, ÖBB, DB, SNCB/NMBS and NS.

for rides in Switzerland, Germany and CH-DE.

• Deutsche Bahn online, ticket office or call center
  • SBB CFF FFS online, ticket office or call center
  • Ticket offices of ÖBB, SNCB/NMBS, NS and other railway companies in middle Europe. 

Do you have a Interrail One Country Pass valid only for Italy or Switzerland? A German Rail Pass? Or a Eurail One Country Italy? You have to pay from the border a normal ticket or via interrail.eu or ticket offices a partial pass fee.

conditions: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Please create your own topic.

The 20€ price is correct but doesn't include a seat reservation for Verona - Innsbruck :

- 10€ Frecciarossa seat reservation

- 10€ Brenner Pass surcharge

You can add a seat reservation for the second leg for 3€. Or buy the 10€ Frecciarossa reservation and the surcharge at cd.cz where it includes a free seat reservation

Edit : for 11th June the full summer timetable isn't released so you can't see regional trains. There is a RegioExpress leaving Venice at 09:10 (Verona 10:38) that you could take, it is reservation-free

Hello, I have a question for a reservation with the OBB  from Venice to Innsbruck. After following the instructions posted here I get two options, to pay 20 EUR, or to choose the option: “ticket already exists”  and pay only 3 EUR  for a reservation. My question is if my Eurorail pass counts already as a ticket? or If have to pay the 20 EUR. The 20 EUR option has the “applicable discount: Eurorail pass” applied to it. So i don’t get the difference.  Or which one I’m supposed to choose. 

Here is option 1:

Here option 2:

Thank you!!! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

ya lo he hecho! muchas gracias!!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Piga Fredy As mentioned above several times, please ask your question(s) in a separate topic, so this topic remains a topic with information about reservations only.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

uff!! Muchísimas gracias!, pero para quienes no clnocemos y no estamos scostumbrados a este trajín de requisitos, esto suena muy complicado!! Llego a pensar que haber adquirido nuestro pase global 15 días en 2 meses puede resultar en un error más caro que barato! ¿no existe una agencia de turismo que a quienes procedemos de américa nos faciliten ese trámite (de reserva de asientos) de forma completa (para todos nuedtroy trayectos) de una sola vez y en un solo sitio? Pensé que Eurail lo haría como un valor agregado a su servicio! Ahora me temo haber adquirido noletos de tren que posiblemente lleguen a no poderse usar por lo complicado de trámites de reserva de asientos. ¿Hay alguna solución más simple a este tema, que a los turísta de otro continente nos resulte menos complicado y más económico??? por supiesto, Gracias por todo du esfuerzo, dedicación y trabajo para buscar orientarnos!!! Un abrazo cordial!!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Several Italian Trains - I always  notice “tickets not available”
Via the ÖBB app / site is it not possible to get tickets/reservations - i.g.  Pisa - Florence.  
After entering in the website ‘discount’  and wanting to add a reservation only, I see for all the trains: “tickets not available”
Does that mean that we can enter the train with our Interrail card without a reservation? 
For the trip Milan - Padua we had to pay a reservation…
What is normal in Italy?

Hi, you have to click on one way ticket and not on only a seat (reservation). 

On that, you don’t need reservations for local trains on Pisa to Florence route. On this route don’t take long distance trains, because the ride is short. 

If you have questions, please ask them in a new topic, to not overload this one.

Several Italian Trains - I always  notice “tickets not available”
Via the ÖBB app / site is it not possible to get tickets/reservations - i.g.  Pisa - Florence.  
After entering in the website ‘discount’  and wanting to add a reservation only, I see for all the trains: “tickets not available”
Does that mean that we can enter the train with our Interrail card without a reservation? 
For the trip Milan - Padua we had to pay a reservation…
What is normal in Italy?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Ongong Please ask the question in an extra post and not here! Thanks.

hi, actually i m holding Eurail global mobile pass and i want to book seat reservation for attached journey, MARNE LA VALLEE CHESSY (France) to Schiphol Airport on 27/11, but it shows price unavailable. Nonetheless, i check from Thalys website ( as attached), the train is not full,

Q1) Can i go to Schiphol airport counter and reserve my seat when we reach on 17/11?

Q2) If i aldy secure seat for other timing, is it possible to change to another time slot? or seat reservation is not refundable & exchangeable? Thanks