Solved

Guidance for my travel to Geneva-Paris-Lucerne-Venice

Hi Everyone,
I shall be travelling for the first time to Europe for work purposes and extended a bit for some personal travel. So I start on the 18th May 2024 morning from Geneva going to Paris. 
2 nights stay in Paris and then I move to Lucern sometime around noon on the 20th of May
3 nights in Lucern and then to Venice on 23rd Morning. 2 nights in Venice & then I fly back

I am seeking guidance on the below :

1. Should I opt for 4 day Eurail pass or 5 day pass ?
  1. When I book on the Eurail page, I start from Geneva. However the website shows my reservation as 1-night in Geneva & 1 night in Paris. Whereas I shall actually be staying for 2 nights in Paris ? If i activate my pass on 18th May morning, should I consider that 1-day pass will end at 23:59 hrs same day ?
  2. For local travel/sightseeing in Paris,Lucern & Venice can I use the Eurail pass in public transport ?
  3. Any additional suggestions regarding any particular trains to catch for this journey

I shall be extremely grateful if someone can guide and provide the best pass option

Thanks

Prasun

icon

Best answer by Hektor 2 May 2024, 16:21

View original

2 replies

Hi Everyone,
I shall be travelling for the first time to Europe for work purposes and extended a bit for some personal travel. So I start on the 18th May 2024 morning from Geneva going to Paris. 
2 nights stay in Paris and then I move to Lucern sometime around noon on the 20th of May
3 nights in Lucern and then to Venice on 23rd Morning. 2 nights in Venice & then I fly back

I am seeking guidance on the below :

1. Should I opt for 4 day Eurail pass or 5 day pass ?

Looks like you'd like to do just three trips. Why do you think about a 5 day pass?

1. When I book on the Eurail page, I start from Geneva. However the website shows my reservation as 1-night in Geneva & 1 night in Paris. Whereas I shall actually be staying for 2 nights in Paris ? If i activate my pass on 18th May morning, should I consider that 1-day pass will end at 23:59 hrs same day ?

A travel day is always a concrete date. If you do board a train before midnight you are allowed to stay onboard until the last stop without a new travel day. So if your travel day is May 18th you may board any train that's included from 0.00 to 23.59.

1. For local travel/sightseeing in Paris,Lucern & Venice can I use the Eurail pass in public transport ?

Unfortunately not. Just if you do use trains. So you may use your railpass for a trip to any other places but not for public transportation in the city itself. And for Paris not even the RER trains in Paris are included.

1. Any additional suggestions regarding any particular trains to catch for this journey

I shall be extremely grateful if someone can guide and provide the best pass option

Thanks

Prasun

You may save money by avoiding direct high speed trains between Switzerland and France. They do have mandatory reservations that may become expensive. But of course it's a longer journey then.

Thank You Hektor for your prompt response. I got confused in the definition of travel day. Things seem pretty clear now. Hoping to have a memorable experience :)