Solved

Help -Seat reservations in Europe

Hi 

I am going to go on my bucket list trip in Europe in August/September this year. I am 65 years of age and be travelling with my wife. I am going to buy the 7 day Eurail pass for this trip. I am a bit confused about the seat reservations and I would appreciate any advise regarding seat reservations for these trips so that both of us to be together . My itinerary is as follows.

August 26th - London to Paris -

How to reserve seats together for both of us?

August 28th - Paris to Geneva and then to Zermatt, Switzerland

How to reserve seats for Paris to Geneva together for both of us?

Is it advisable to reserve seats from Geneva to Zermatt and if so where to reserve it?

August 30- Zermatt to Chur on Glazier express and then to Lucerne

How to get a reservation only on Glazier express- When I go to their website I cant find                         anywhere to reserve with a Eurail pass

Is it advisable to reserve seats from Chur to Lucerne and if so where to reserve it?

3rd September - Lucerne to Salzburg

Is it advisable to reserve seats from  Lucerne to Salzburg and if so where to reserve?

5th September- Salzburg to Vienna

Is it advisable to reserve seats from  Salzburg to Vienna and if so where to reserve?

8th September - Vienna to Prague

Is it advisable to reserve seats from  Vienna to Prague and if so where to reserve?

Thank you in advance.

Ananda

icon

Best answer by MartinM 5 May 2024, 06:49

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey!

For the reservations London-Paris and Paris-Geneva you will best look on raileurope.com to get a reservation - there you don’t pay any extra fees.

it might be cheaper to get a reservation from Paris to the last stop in France (Bellegarde?) and then a regional train in case money matters.

No need to reserve seats from Geneva to Zermatt. It can be busy but usually you can find a seat… nobody makes reservations in Switzerland (except bigger groups).

Glacier Express should be possible to reserve via rhb.ch

Lucerne to Salzburg: to Zürich not necessary as trains are frequent and you can board them already around 15 mins before departure. From Zurich to Salzburg I would recommend it as this route is especially from Innsbruck onwards with high demand (but sometimes already from Zürich). Book on tickets.oebb.at

Salzburg to Vienna is a very busy route but there are also many trains running. I would opt for the Westbahn as they have more comfy trains and usually you can find a seat there. As it isn’t a weekend, you should be able to find seats without a reservation.

i think in Czech Republic they include free reservations in the tickets, so yes it is advisable to buy a reservation on this route as trains get often very crowded between Brno and Praha. You might do it via tickets.oebb.at or cd.cz

Hi 

Hey!

For the reservations London-Paris and Paris-Geneva you will best look on raileurope.com to get a reservation - there you don’t pay any extra fees.

it might be cheaper to get a reservation from Paris to the last stop in France (Bellegarde?) and then a regional train in case money matters.

No need to reserve seats from Geneva to Zermatt. It can be busy but usually you can find a seat… nobody makes reservations in Switzerland (except bigger groups).

Glacier Express should be possible to reserve via rhb.ch

Lucerne to Salzburg: to Zürich not necessary as trains are frequent and you can board them already around 15 mins before departure. From Zurich to Salzburg I would recommend it as this route is especially from Innsbruck onwards with high demand (but sometimes already from Zürich). Book on tickets.oebb.at

Salzburg to Vienna is a very busy route but there are also many trains running. I would opt for the Westbahn as they have more comfy trains and usually you can find a seat there. As it isn’t a weekend, you should be able to find seats without a reservation.

i think in Czech Republic they include free reservations in the tickets, so yes it is advisable to buy a reservation on this route as trains get often very crowded between Brno and Praha. You might do it via tickets.oebb.at or cd.cz

Thank you very much for your reply. One question. Is it possible to get seats together for both of us from these websites. Do they give an option to do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes either you get access to a seat map (in Austria, Czechia) or the system assigns you seats together.

I totally agree with Martin's advice.

If you're fine with the 29€ France-Switzerland TGV fee feel free to have a look at Paris - Lausanne too. It's usually a bit faster. Trains run every 30 min on all Swiss mainlines.

Yes either you get access to a seat map (in Austria, Czechia) or the system assigns you seats together.

I totally agree with Martin's advice.

If you're fine with the 29€ France-Switzerland TGV fee feel free to have a look at Paris - Lausanne too. It's usually a bit faster. Trains run every 30 min on all Swiss mainlines.

Thank you very much. I will look at Paris-Lausanne too.