How to find out free seats before buying an interrail pass?

• 8 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

we want to travel on 10/9 and 10/17 from Dortmund to Marseille and Back. How can we find out If there are seats available in TGV or Thalys for interrail before we buy the Passes?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Calla

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

easy answer you can´t look before how many seats left :/
to save reservation fee´s i recommend to take the afternoon TGV from Frankfurt directly to Marseille (can be reserved at a DB Reisezentrum)  this way you have to pay for only one reservation instead of 2 🙂 and you save the expensive Thalys reservation :)

Option B take the ICE to Brussels and catch one of the few TGV´s from Brussels to South France (Marseille,Nice,Perpignan)

I don't know if you meant it that way, but unfortunately there is no longer a direct TGV from Brussels to Nice and Perpignan?

There are currently 2 direct connections per day to Marseille St Charles, and 2 to Montpellier St Roch.
And also 1 direct connection to Montpellier Sud de France.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

easy answer you can´t look before how many seats left :/
to save reservation fee´s i recommend to take the afternoon TGV from Frankfurt directly to Marseille (can be reserved at a DB Reisezentrum)  this way you have to pay for only one reservation instead of 2 🙂 and you save the expensive Thalys reservation :)

Option B take the ICE to Brussels and catch one of the few TGV´s from Brussels to South France (Marseille,Nice,Perpignan)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

ahh good to know one of the Marseille usually went further to Nice and one of the Montpellier trains to Perpignan in the last years :/

As iam avoiding to use Railpasses in  France and Spain as much i can i am not always up to date on the Route changes there :D