Sofia-Belgrade: viable route(s)?

• 16 July 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi all!

So, I’m currently interrailing and I’m in Istanbul. In a few days I will hop on the train going from Istanbul to Sofia. From there, I would like to reach Belgrade, and then Bar via night train from Bel to Bar.

The problem is: the transport situation between Sofia and Belgrade is messy to say the least.

On the Internet I’ve read that a viable route would be: Sofia-Dimitrovgrad-Niš-Beograd, although some websites state that the train from Niš is daily and departs (11:25) before the one the one from Dimitrovgrad arrives (11:30 or 12:27, depending on the website).

I’m not even sure this train exists.

Other alternatives apparently are Sofia-Beograd by bus or Dimitrovgrad-Niš by bus and then Niš-Beo by train again, since this part of the trip is quite easy.

Can someone help me?

8 replies

Badge +5

Which is the border. No trains beyond! I should have said no trains to Belgrade!

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/belgrade-to-sofia-by-train.htm

I’m in Sofia right now, the info by Seat61 is still correct. I also checked distance between bus and railway station. Takes 40 minutes walking. Does not leave much time to catch the 12.00 o’clock bus to Nis, if not fully booked anyway. So it might be necessary to sleep at Dimitrovgrad. Tomorrow I’ll check out the buses again. Bus might be best option, or to Nis or to Beograd. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Dont mess with these ´it has to be train amap´-just find a bus all the way-not always online. Why that is messy escapes me-the savings are also minimal or you may even pay more as a direct bus if you need to use taxi etc. Plus that Serbije railways is also famed for very last min. cancellations-train broke and the like. Also DO be aware of the new ´station´ in Beograd-the old one besides the BAS (still there for the many more buses) is out of use. There is not even a decent citybus there to link that new station with centre town. Train to Bar for now in winter limited to only that overnight.

Badge +5

Thee are no trains into Serbia from Sofia. If you are in Istanbul ensure you book the sleeper to Sofia. This train can be full especially at weekends.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thee are no trains into Serbia from Sofia.

There are, but only to Dimitrovgrad:

https://www.bdz.bg/en/a/sofia-beograd-sofia

Userlevel 1
Badge

Which is the border. No trains beyond! I should have said no trains to Belgrade!

No serbian trains to Bulgaria. There is a bulgarian train to the city Dimitrovgrad, which is in Serbia. Why there aren´t serbian trains from serbian city Dimitrovgrad to Belgrade?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

No serbian trains to Bulgaria. There is a bulgarian train to the city Dimitrovgrad, which is in Serbia. Why there aren´t serbian trains from serbian city Dimitrovgrad to Belgrade?

Engineering works between Dimitrovgrad and Niš. I don't know how much time they still need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Why there aren´t serbian trains from serbian city Dimitrovgrad to Belgrade?

Because Serbian Rail upgrade their entire Railnetwork :) Belgrade - NoviSad took almost 4years :D and i assume that the Works on the Route Belgrade - Nis - Dimitrovograd + Nis - North Macedonia take even longer. Currently most trains between Belgrade - Nis use a different Route as usually.