Travelling when under 18

  • 15 April 2023
  • 2 replies


My daughter is going Interrailing from the UK in July with some friends from College but she doesn’t turn 18 until August.

On this EU website it says she “may need an extra (official) document signed by their parents, second parent or legal guardian(s) authorising them to travel.”

However, I’m finding it very hard to work out what she needs and for which countries. The UK Foreign Office website suggests that most of the countries on her itinerary do not have specific requirements but it all feels a bit vague. I need some concrete advice to ensure she has all the paperwork she needs.

The only thing that appears to be suggested is to contact an Embassy for each country to check.

Is that the best thing to do or is there an easier way to check?

I hope someone can help.





Best answer by BrendanDB 15 April 2023, 14:29

View original

2 replies

Ok, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I don’t think there are many formal requirements, with a standard form, in most EU-countries. A note or letter from you, with a signature where you authorise her to travel, will suffice in most, if not all countries in which she’ll travel. Together with a valid ID-document of course.