Best pass to use?

• 17 June 2022
  • 4 replies

My husband and I are going to Paris this July. We are thinking of going to Italy specifically in Florence, Rome and Venice… what exactly pass do we need to purchase. The following is the plan timetable we are thinking: 

From Paris going to Florence, around night time (night train for sure); then stay in Florence for one day. We Florence in the afternoon going to Rome, then stay there for 2 days. We leave Rome in the afternoon after 2 days and head to Venice and then stay there for one day leave at night (night train for sure) going back to Paris.

Please help us what exactly we need to do. We are reading a lot but we are still confuse which one to take. Looking forward to your response soon.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You will need a Globalpass as you cross several countries.

Just note there is no Nighttrain Paris - Milan - Venice anymore (suspended back in 2020 due Covid and the operating company doesnt exist anymore)

Paris - Florence can be done at daytime with the TGV to Torino or Milano and change here for a onward train to Florence
Just note that Highspeed services in France & Italy need reservations that are charged ontop of the Railpass :)
If you wanna catch a Nighttrain you can catch the Munich to Rome sleeper till Florence (or maybe first visit rome to have a longer sleep/journey on the Nighttrain)

Venice - Paris once more no Nighttrain :/  Daytime route Venice - Milan - TGV - Paris if you wanna do it with Nighttrain you could catch the Venice - Munich Nighttrain (if the train is on time you can catch from Munich a direct TGV to Paris)

We wish to travel from London to Germany have 2 night stay then to Amsterdam for 2 nights then back to London

Which pass should we buy 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

We wish to travel from London to Germany have 2 night stay then to Amsterdam for 2 nights then back to London

Which pass should we buy 

If this is all that you’re going to do, check for regular tickets. Check for London-Germany and Germany-Amsterdam on bahn.de and for Amsterdam-London on eurostar.com.

If you want to travel more than that in those countries, you’ll need a global pass + reservations on the Eurostar (the seat reservations for passholders on Eurostar are €30+ per leg)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

My husband and I are going to Paris this July. We are thinking of going to Italy specifically in Florence, Rome and Venice… what exactly pass do we need to purchase. The following is the plan timetable we are thinking: 

From Paris going to Florence, around night time (night train for sure); then stay in Florence for one day. We Florence in the afternoon going to Rome, then stay there for 2 days. We leave Rome in the afternoon after 2 days and head to Venice and then stay there for one day leave at night (night train for sure) going back to Paris.

Please help us what exactly we need to do. We are reading a lot but we are still confuse which one to take. Looking forward to your response soon.

I think I count at least 5 travel days. So the Eurail global pass 5 days in a month would seem suitable.

Note that reservations will cost you another 10 EUR per seat, per train and Italy, and 10 or 20 EUR per seat in France (per train, might be more on international services).

You probably won’t be able to reserve the trains yet. France will open bookings 8th of March for this summer. Italy opens up usually 2-3 months in advance.