Solved

Can I choose the Eurail pass and travel with it in France (amid some others countries)?

• 4 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi!

I have the French citizenship but I live in Canada since 7 years, so my residency is out of Europe. But I don’t have the Canadian citizenship, only the French.

Can I choose the Eurail pass and travel with it in France (amid some others countries)?

Thanks !

Heleme

icon

Best answer by seewulf 4 February 2022, 18:54

View original

8 replies

Great! Thank you all for your answers!

I’ll go with the Eurail pass and my Canadian Residency card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Residency means you must have stayed in that country for at least 6 monthes AND have some form of official proof from that country.

As I've written before, the Interrail/Eurail terms and conditions don't mention any period anymore, just that you need to be able to prove your country of residence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Residency means you must have stayed in that country for at least 6 monthes AND have some form of official proof from that country. 6 month is in most cases the MAX limit one is allowed to stay as ´tourist´ without further registrations.

You can expect to maybe checked more thoroughly for this, esp. when in FRance itself-out of that it does not make much difference. In fact there have been stories of British who managed to stay out of that island for just over 6 month, get the paperwork and then travel in the UK with a pass for 2 monthes-which saved them 100s of GBP as local tickets are so expensive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

rvdborgt is right. You can use the Canadian resident card for your Eurail Pass, Helene. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Nationality is not important, but residency is. When you live in Canada, then you can use Eurail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you use the Canadian Resident Card for your Eurailpass it should be no problem as it proofs your non European residence.  🙂 Maybe a Eurail employee like @Nanja  can validate my answer :)

I have the Canadian permanent resident card, it’s the official document I use to enter Canada. It’s king of an ID.

Is it when I buy the Eurail pass that I need the proof, or also when traveling and buying the tickets?

Thanks @seewulf for the quick answer!

Helene

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Helene 

Quite difficult as usually a ID-Card or the Passport are used for the pass 😕 You need a legal Pass or Card issued by the Goverment 🙂 (For example the Green Card of US) to proof you are currently no residend of France 🙂 for Eurail