Solved

Few questions regarding Pass and ferries

• 21 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi there, 

If I buy an Interrail-pass with 15 days of travel, will I be able to use this all over Europe? Also on ferries? We are planning a trip from Prague and down Italy, and then travelling by ferry from Bari to Igoumenitsa. We would also like to take a ferry from Athens to Chania. I’m not able to see in the railway-map if it is possible to travel this ferry distance with the pass, and if there will be any additional costs when booking a ferry-trip. How does this work? And do anyone have any experience with travelling from Athen to Chania or Heraklion?

Thanks for any help!

icon

Best answer by seewulf 21 April 2022, 12:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

You get on few Routes a discount with a Interrail Globalpass :)
https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/?categories=1be1ba1c-80f5-4286-b255-3092f0d486cd

I see Stena Line is still missing there. They offer 30% discount on the base price (not on accommodation), for which you need to use the EURAIL action code.

Hi rvdborgt, The partnership with Stena Line is currently on hold, that's why you can't see it. Cheers,

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IN GR the  ferries that run INland are regulated-to have also a dependable service all year to minor islands. The fares are also regulated and everywhere the same. Since the last ferry Dk-SE and Dk-DE that also took trains aboard has been cancelled, there are no more free ferries in the pass. Most give a discount-often the very same they give to ju/senior or some others anyway.

There is also a GReek Islands pass-also sold via this site, that is ONLY valid on a certain ferry (the one for 6 trips also to/fro ITaly), if this will help you-no idea, if you only go 1 island probably not.

Many yrs ago I have flown Ath-Crete and back by overnight ferry-as above: in every port and certainly on touristy islands there will be scores of agencies offering booking ferries and all things the tourist need-just pop in & buy. In general: the further south you come in EUR-the less there is need for doing things online.

DO also note the classic overland train route via ex-Yugoslavija to GR is OUT of USE-as between many new countries there are no more international trains. The best way-if you are in Gretha´s footsteps and avoiding planes, is via ITaly and then there are some 10+ different ferrylines-most give a small discount, Stena is not among them. The site seat61 has good info on travel overland to there

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/?categories=1be1ba1c-80f5-4286-b255-3092f0d486cd

I see Stena Line is still missing there. They offer 30% discount on the base price (not on accommodation), for which you need to use the EURAIL action code.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14