Interrail or Eurail pass?

  • 20 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi, I just had an enquiry about buying a pass. I have been living in the UK on a Youth Mobility Visa since May 2019. My visa originally ended in May 2021, but due to COVID19 I had my visa extended until December 2021. My permanent residence card that I received on arrival to the UK has expired (with my original visa end date). I will be travelling on my Australian passport, so with my UK resident card being expired do I need to buy a eurail pass instead?


Best answer by Nanja 22 November 2021, 17:31

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Maddyrose, as your residency card has expired you'll need to purchase a Eurail Pass.

Non- European citizens who are an official resident of Europe, can choose to use an Interrail Pass. As we ask for your country of residence when you order, you will need to bring an official European residency card or document along with you that matches the country of residence written on your Interrail Pass. All information about this topic can be found here

It is in your advantage anyway to purchase a Eurail Pass (instead of Interrail) as it will allow you to travel freely in the UK as well. With an Interrail Pass, you can only travel through your country of residence (in your case the UK, if you had a valid residency card) during 1 inbound and 1 outbound trip. 

I trust this answers your question. Cheers,