Solved

Round trip to Italy- can't find the pass I wanted

Badge +1

I'm inexperienced and would like some information that I didn't find in previous questions.

Two weeks ago I saw the prices of a Global pass 3 trips in a month for 110€.
Now I want to buy and this pass no longer exists!!!! am i wrong or did i see wrong?
Our idea (my son and I) to go from Koblenz (Germany) to Pisa, stay 4 days and return to Koblenz.
Then, until the end of the month, take a trip to Belgium and return on the same day, so I thought I would use the 3-day pass for €110
My passport is Italian, my son's is German.
As the pass no longer exists in the offers, we made a plan through the website and the round trip price (only 2 trips) was more than €370 !!!
What am I doing wrong and how do I do it right? What we thought that each day of travel did not change the price of the ticket, is it false?
Thank you very much.
Roberto

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 14 August 2022, 11:31

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I suggest you practice with the IR planner to estimate your reservation fees and routings with a Global pass.

As with any planner you simply put in basic details and it shows you the most suitable routings and whether reservations are required and costs. You can use some filters if required to remove trains requiring reservations or invalid trains for your pass.

As an example the planner shows a journey from Koblenz to Pisa leaving at 0748 via Mannheim, Spies (Switzerland) and Milan arriving 2131. (Almost 14 hours) with reservation fees of 26 euro.

Other options have travel times that vary up to 17 hours and fees from 12 euros.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for your response...
But I have already calculated the prices of a normal ticket for the days I need it, believe me, it is much more than 200€

Only remember that you with Interrail also need to make and pay for reservations on the high speed trains, and I think also the IC trains, in Italy. There is also a fee of 10 EUR in 2nd class and 15 EUR in 1st class for travels between Italy and Austria (not on regional trains).

So the cost will be higher than just the cost for the pass if you choose to travel with other trains than only the regional trains in Italy.

Badge +1

Thanks for your response...
But I have already calculated the prices of a normal ticket for the days I need it, believe me, it is much more than 200€

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for the quick response.

You mean after coming back from Italy and going to, say, Copenhagen?

Yes. You can only travel in Germany on 2 travel days 
To use the 4 days then should I do eg Alemanha/Italia/Suica/Alemanha?
The ticket price from Alemanha to Pisa round trip is more than €200!!!

OK. I only know that the German Supersparpreise can be cheap if you book well in advance but I don't how the ticket prices are in Italy.
Alternative would be to go by bus, but it would be many hours!!!! for a short time.

Badge +1

You mean after coming back from Italy and going to, say, Copenhagen?
To use the 4 days then should I do eg Alemanha/Italia/Suica/Alemanha?
The ticket price from Alemanha to Pisa round trip is more than €200!!!
Alternative would be to go by bus, but it would be many hours!!!! for a short time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

But you can't travel in Germany apart from your outbound and inbound journey.

If you share your travel plans here in the Community you will get better advice than from the trip planner at the Interrail website. We need to know when and where you want to travel.

Maybe the best for you is to buy ordinary tickets to/from Italy and not to buy a pass. That information you will not get from the planner.

Badge +1

Is there no way to upload a photo here?
I look for it here: https://www.interrail.eu/de/plan-your-trip.

He asks which country is first, I put Italy, It asks for the first country, I put Italy and a new page appears:

https://www.interrail.eu/de/tripplanner-map#senior=1&start=2022-09-24&end=2022-09-29&travelDays=1&trip=IT01

As you see in the upper left corner, it asks to put the second place to visit, I put Koblenz, new page:

https://www.interrail.eu/de/tripplanner-map#senior=1&start=2022-09-24&end=2022-09-29&travelDays=2&trip=IT01,394DE01

And the Global pass for €221 appears

https://www.interrail.eu/de/tripplanner-map#senior=1&start=2022-09-24&end=2022-09-29&travelDays=2&trip=IT01,394DE01

So I believe this is the cheapest pass, or?
But there will be 2 days left and I don't have any more vacations, will I simply miss these days?
Please let me know if I am correct, the remaining days, after I get back to Koblenz could I go to Copenhagen and back? (just an example)

Thank you very much for your time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A one country pass can only be used in, as it says, one country. The 3 day one country Italy pass can only be used within in Italy. 

I don't know where you search but if you want to travel more than within Italy you need a global pass. 

There are many different global passes and can get advice here which to choose if you let us know how you want to travel. There are passes where every day is a possible travel day and flexi passes where you can travel on a certain number of days within a certain time frame.

But remember that whatever global pass you have, you can only travel on a maximum of 2 travel days in your home country (Germany).

Badge +1

Good morning again....
Just to give some information...
My son did, at his house, on his PC, the same itinerary I did here, which country to visit (italy) what is the next country to visit (germany) and the result? Global Pass worth €221.
Can anyone explain why the difference? It's not much, but it says what I said earlier today, every day you do a survey, prices are different...

Badge +1

@ mcadv … Maybe I really messed up and didn't pay attention to which pass I was shown when researching.
I did it again and now it appears "Budget" Pass 3 days for 192€ !!! to search they ask me where I want to go, I put Italy, after, how many days do I want to stay in Italy, I put 4 days, then the next destination appears, I put the city in Germany where I live and the search result is the one above, "budget" One Country Pass
3 days for 1 month.
It's almost double the price I had previously found, I'll keep searching, because every day I enter this site for the pass I find different prices and offers.

@AnnaB  … Maybe I really messed up and didn't pay attention to which pass I was shown when researching.I had given it as Belgium because I thought there was 1 more day free on the pass that I could use, but I was wrong.

Out of curiosity I put the next trip in Belgium and after Koblenz, the Global Pass offer for 4 days for 221€.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are no 3 day passes. There is a 4 day in a month pass.

As you live in Germany (your passport doesn't matter) you can only travel on a maximum of two travel days in Germany so if you want to make 2 return trips from Germany, one to Pisa and one to Belgium, you need to buy separate tickets for the German part of one of the trips.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You must have confused with perhaps the 1country pass-valid in, as it says, ONE country only-global passes do not exist for just 3 days.Also what you describe would not have been possible: GLOBal passes are only valid in home country for 2 days MAX-for going out and coming back IN at end.

If you simply use bahn.de for planning/buying there should be much more lower prices-or shift dates a bit. Also check till as far as MIlano via bahn and onward via trenitalia.

Plus that a 1day tour to BE from KO can be done with f.e. RheinlandPfalz dayticket-LUX is free and use the very cheap BE offers-depend on how far into BE. OR-daft simple-untill 31/8 the 9€ ticket till LUX border.