Terminology - a "trip" is . . .

• 26 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

First of all - thanks to all on the forum for the clarifications provided over the last few days.  You have eased my path significantly.

What I think I’ve realised is that the term trip as used in the Interrail context seems to be misleading.  Trip as used in the app is a collection of potential moves from point A to point B, point B to point C, but also point B to points D, E, F, G & H - it’s like a pick list or a wish list.  You can define any number of journeys in a trip, and you can travel on some or all of them.  So it’s not actually a trip.  Your actual trip may go A-B-C-H, or maybe A-B-C-E.

A trip in Interrail terms is only a list of possible travel legs which may or may not be taken.

A trip in ordinary usage is an actual journey - “I’m planning a trip from Edinburgh(A) to Nice(D), via London(B) and Paris(C).” or “I took a trip from Edinburgh(A) to Milan(H), via London(B) and Paris(C).  I went to Milan instead of Nice because the weather was bad in Nice on the day.”

It may seem trivial, but from looking at the posts (even in the last 48 hours alone) asking about trips I think this issue causes a whole lot more confusion for travelers than it needs to.

What do others think?  Is this something that the app should clarify to make everyones life easier?  Does the app have language versions?  What terminology do they use?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I only use the English version too. Are there actually any other language versions? I don't think so (so far). 

I must say, that a lot of people here use many terms in the app interchangeable. Whilst trivial if you're used to work with it, difficult to master if you're new to it and not really smartphone - wired. 

Agreed though, changing the name of "My Trip" to "My travel diary" or something shorter "My Diary", "My Schedule" "My journeys", "My routes",... would be a bit clearer. But what the ideal is, don't know. Can't be too long either, since the buttons are a bit small. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Whilst I do not know the terminology used in other language versions than English, I fully agree that the use of Trip is confusing and I prefer to think of it as my diary for the linked pass.
Another pair of terms that annoy me are the In and Out days. Whilst I understand the original idea, you are not limited to In and Out. I think it is better to consider them Country of Residence days. 

It would be so much clearer to describe them as follows:

Country of Residence days.

With all Interrail passes up to 2 travel days of your choice will also allow travel in your Country of Residence (as shown in your pass) as well as the remainder of the network.

This is to complement your Interrail experience and enables travel across borders or within your own country on those 2 days. 
These days are not extra travel days and there is no option to add extra COR days to any pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Except that for these there MAY-in some countries, still be a kind of requirement to use a more or less direct routing to the point of exit/entry, be it border or (sea/air)port. Certainly I´ve read in railforums. that quite a few staff see to that. Of course seems more a point in countries where local fares are high anyway-so GB qualifies.

Most if not all of that mobile pass is simply a translation of what the old paper passes had in them. Except when technical constraints make this hard to achieve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I only use the English version too. Are there actually any other language versions? I don't think so (so far). 

I must say, that a lot of people here use many terms in the app interchangeable. Whilst trivial if you're used to work with it, difficult to master if you're new to it and not really smartphone - wired. 

Agreed though, changing the name of "My Trip" to "My travel diary" or something shorter "My Diary", "My Schedule" "My journeys", "My routes",... would be a bit clearer. But what the ideal is, don't know. Can't be too long either, since the buttons are a bit small. 

Wouldn’t “Diary” be enough?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

German and Spanish versions were introduced last year. Unfortunately, the app itself does not allow to change its language. You have to do it via the OS language:

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/articles/7542797505949-How-do-I-change-the-language-on-the-app-

I now have it in German because the DB Navigator app also works this way. I want to have that one in German (rather than in English translated from German) so that means the rail planner app is now also in German...