Do TER trains require reservations?

• 15 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Do TER trains now require reservations?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

No, I don’t think so. 

Wich route do you want to take? And when?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The NOMad trains, from Paris to Normandie (Caen-Cherbourg or Rouen-le Havre) do, only to/fro Paris and I think now also (only to/fro Paris) the few remaining trains to Nancy-Strasbourg. There were some recent posts about these trains, but no real solution.

Some TER in the far south only cost 1€/ride as normal fare for everyone and often one has to reserve these to prevent serious overcrowding. Not as special seat, but to the total nr of admitted pax. You have to do that locally.  region Occitanie.

In high summer it may also apply to a few special seaside trippers trains to the beaches.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I think now also (only to/fro Paris) the few remaining trains to Nancy-Strasbourg. There were some recent posts about these trains, but no real solution.

Can I ask where you saw this? The timetable search function at sncf.com is still displaying this train (TER839172) as Sans reservation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For NoMad it was my own experience (last sept. ́21) and some posts about same in this forum. The relevant platforms in St. Lazare are now gated. It is also explained on the TER-NOrmandie site in /fr/

For Prs-Strbg I think (but it may have been seasonal or for limited special fares) on the specific site, only in /fr/ of the region (grand est). Now that in FR those regions have more authority about how to run the trains in their area, quite often there are all kinds of special deals, regulations, to come-or maybe also to go. or it may have been due to special covid-containment measures for the time being.

I guess the normal 10€ fee (as for TGV/IC of SNCF) for these trains does not apply. But I have never seen any good info on how to do or what it is.

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I was at the following url:

https://www.eurail.com/en/book-reservations/book-your-reservations-online

I am using a 3 day Eurail pass.

I log on to make a reservation for these three routes: 

Paris-St. Lazare to Bayeux on the 12th of May

Bayeux to Reims on the 15th of May 

Marseille to Chartres on the 28th of May

I was able to make reservations for the TGV high speed trains for these legs:

Paris to Reims

Marseille to Paris

However on the Eurail reservations website it informs me that the leg from St. Lazare to Bayeux, which is a TER Train on the 12th requires a reservation.

Then when i try to make a reservation for that leg I get the following message:

“No price results were found for this connection. It is possible that the train is fully booked for pass holders. Please try searching for another connection or find an alternative way to book.”

I get the same message for all trains that day or any other day,

I also have the same problem when I try  to book the leg from Bayeux to Paris Est on the 15.of May

(half of the Bayeux to Reims journey).

I get the same: No price results were found for this connection. It is possible that the train is fully booked for pass holders. Please try searching for another connection or find an alternative way to book.

Very frustrating. Am I doing something wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For these TER trains in Normandy, even SNCF (the operator) themselves are giving conflicting information, depending on where you look or ask:

@Nanja is trying to get this cleared up.

According to this page, reservation is only needed on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and holidays on these KRONO/KRONO+ trains:

• Paris <> Caen <> Cherbourg
  • Paris <> Trouville/Deauville
  • Paris <> Argentan <> Granville

So on 12 May, you don’t need a reservation. On 15 May, you would need a reservation but SNCF still say, when asked, that you can stand if no seats are available (thereby implying a reservation is not required). I'd ask at the ticket counter in Paris or Bayeux on 12 May about your journey on the 15th. These TER reservations cannot be done (yet?) via Eurail and SNCF refuse to do pass reservations via the phone.

Paris to Chartres does not need a reservation (it's not even possible).