Solved

Travel on time - first time travel

Dear Community,

i would love to travel more by train. I would like to  travel by train to France for a Qi Gong retreat. I found a connections from Hamburg to Mannheim to Lyon. I will only reach Lyon by 8pm and I am a bit worried with the usual delay / cancellation situation from DB if I will really reach 😅 

I couldn’t find a good earlier connection. Or even a night connection. I could start 17.07.24 10pm 
And I have to reach francheville (near Lyon ) 18.07.24 in the evening. 

please let me know if you have any recommendations / Insights 🙏 thank you for your help.

Maximiliane 

icon

Best answer by ralderton 1 May 2024, 08:07

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can take the Nightjet from Hamburg to Basel at 2207, and continue to Lyon the next day.

Either via Mulhouse, or via Geneva. Either way, you’ll reach Lyon by lunch time.

I prefer the route via Geneva, as there’s no reservation costs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I second the night train suggestion. It's quite popular so book in advance though.

With the Riedbahn closure from mid-July things might be better or worse than usual... but honestly as long as you plan 1h break in Mannheim you'll be fine. Could be 2h to play it safe and visit a bit the city. :)

If you need to make a return trip I'd do it one way via night train + Switzerland and one-way with the Mannheim - Lyon TGV.

Also if those are your only train journeys, advance tickets might be cheaper than a pass.