Solved

Multiple trains on outbound/inbound to reach a station NEAR the border.

• 1 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

So, the problem i have is that i live in france, literally 4 km away from the German border, and I wanted to go to Spain. The thing is that i’ll probably need multiple trains to reach the border.

Not only that but the only way to get to the part of spain i want to go, is reaching the station on the french border side, and then, take a railway that is not part of the interrail. Would that be possible?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 1 October 2023, 13:31

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You can take as many trains as you like on each travel day, that is also true for trains in your home country on the 2 inbound/outbound days.

Badge

Al_G thank you for your help. And is there a problem if the last station of my outbound trip (which is also the first one of my inbound trip) is still inside my country?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No

Al_G thank you for your help. And is there a problem if the last station of my outbound trip (which is also the first one of my inbound trip) is still inside my country?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just as a reminder : TGV and Intercités require reservations. This limits your flexibility as they can sell out a few days in advance.

They generally cost 10-20€ but SNCF offers them for free if you're a French resident. You have to go to a ticket office and ask for a billet parcours/trajet d'approche.

Reservations are also mandatory on a lot of Spanish trains : between 5 and 10€. Some trains are available on interrail.eu, the others need to be booked at a RENFE ticket counter. More info : https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Badge

No

So, if the train that goes to the other country isn’t in partnership with eurail, there is no way to do it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

No

So, if the train that goes to the other country isn’t in partnership with eurail, there is no way to do it?

Sure, it is not a problem, you can travel all the way to Hendaye (which I assume you are referring to) on your outbound travel day. 

Interrail's site even mentions you can use an outbound to head to an airport to start your trip.