Solved

Can I use the eurail pass within the country?

• 19 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi Everyone!

I was planning to travel to europe later this year. I am just confuse on how well I can use the pass. 

I wanted to know if we can use the pass within the country? For example I went to Switzerland and I want to travel all around Switzerland. Can I use the Eurail pass on the local trains within Switzerland and that includes any other country? Or does Eurail pass only works if you travel from one country to another? 

Thank You in advance :blush:

icon

Best answer by Angelo 19 January 2022, 11:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can use your eurail pass also within a country. With an flexi-pass you have to use a travel day for that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On a travel day, you can use any train of the participating railways and as many trains as you like. It doesn’t matter whether you're making an international journey or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

DO note the ´participating´-in various countries there are now al kinds of ´private´=non-state owned railway ´companies´ that do not accept these passes. For CH=Swiss there is a long list as there are dozens of such companies-find it on the site under country-information. The main operators there: SBB, BLS, RHätische Bahn do accept it and also various others, but not all minor sidelines.

PS-IF you mainly intend to travel only in 1 country, then there is a cheaper ´1 country pass’and some of these touristy countries also have their own tourist passes, as indeed CH does. These may give you much more travel rights-f.e. the Swiss Holiday Pass also includes all POstal buses, citytransit and entry to most museums. Depending on your plans these may give better value!