Solved

Outbound journey from Warsaw to Berlin

My country of origin is Poland and on 13 of August. I'm going to take outbound journey from Warsaw. I bought a seats reservation for a direct train from Warsaw to Berlin. However outbound journey covers travel from my city of origin to a border. How should I fill my travel journal in this case. Last stop in Poland is Rzepin. Should I fill it in as Warsaw - Rzepin and this is my outbound trip? And than first stop in Germany is Frankfurt (Oder). Should the first trip of my first day of actual Intrerrail Pass is Frankfurt to Berlin? How should I cover border crossing from Rzepin to Frankfurt (Oder)?

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 3 August 2022, 19:17

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Yorkie

this is from Interrail page:

Travel in your own country | Interrail.eu:

Travel in your own country with a mobile Pass

When you travel with a mobile Pass, the app will automatically recognize an outbound or inbound trip, based on your country of residence.

If an outbound or inbound trip applies to the journey that you're adding to your Pass, you'll get a popup telling you that you will be using one of the two available out/inbound trips. You have to approve this before you can add your journey to your Pass.

Keep in mind that when you want to travel from one country to another, and you have to travel through your country of residence, the app will apply both the inbound and the outbound journey to this trip. 

The first part adds to my explanation of out/inbound days.

The final point is a rare but very pertinent point for all and has caught some mainland Europe travellers out, where a train runs along a border and slips into their home country, even if the traveller does not alight in the country. 

However, as stated, the app does the check and, if the traveller hasn’t used either inbound or outbound days, they would have to reroute or actively accept the loss of the 2 days they can use their home country trains.

One of the advantages of coming from the UK, there are no examples of this.

@Yorkie 

this is from Interrail page:

Travel in your own country | Interrail.eu:

Travel in your own country with a mobile Pass

When you travel with a mobile Pass, the app will automatically recognize an outbound or inbound trip, based on your country of residence.

If an outbound or inbound trip applies to the journey that you're adding to your Pass, you'll get a popup telling you that you will be using one of the two available out/inbound trips. You have to approve this before you can add your journey to your Pass.

Keep in mind that when you want to travel from one country to another, and you have to travel through your country of residence, the app wil apply both the inbound and the outbound journey to this trip. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Yorkie

@AnnaB

What you just recommend now is to deactivate the pass and activate it again on 13th of August before onboarding the train from Warsaw to Berlin. It will null out days used?

Then also I just create a journey from Warsaw to Berlin and use outbound option. System will automatically take 1st day out of  10 from my Pass when I cross the PL/DE border?

Almost correct but when you activate the pass on day 1 that triggers your first travel day for that day. Your Waw to Berlin train is your first journey.

You then have the rest of your validity period (shown in the App) to use your next 9 travel days including one further day when you can include journeys in your home country if you want to. Again these can include journeys outside your home country.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I am unfamiliar with the planner you show, but certainly all train journeys in a day (0000 to 2359 CET) all come out of one travel day. However your plan is just that - a plan. If you have a mobile pass all the management of train journeys and travel days is automatic according to the rules I have outlined, as and when you add the train journey into an activated pass.

If it helps just consider each travel day simply as a go anywhere on a train for 24 hours (subject to reservations if needed of course.)

Crossing borders, on or off a train are irrelevant to the App. 

So if you were to use your pass from say Warsaw to Poznan in the morning, catch a flight to the UK and catch a train to London before midnight all the train journeys would be from that one travel day.

@Yorkie  

OOI inbound and outbound are actually optional and can be taken in any order or not at all. This could be used for example by somebody in the UK to cover rail travel to an airport and then for an onward train on the same day from their arrival airport.

Is my understanding correct that you are stating that outbound journey can be used in a destination country from arrival airport assuming departure before 23:59 CET same day?

Taking below example:

Outbound journey on 14.06 from Brighton to Gatwick Airport is only marked orange in the first line. Next train from Amsterdam to Brussels showing in the same day of 14.06 (second line) but it’s not circled with orange. Is second line 1st day of the travel of the Pass or not?

This is still not clear to me.

@Yorkie 

@AnnaB 

What you just recommend now is to deactivate the pass and activate it again on 13th of August before onboarding the train from Warsaw to Berlin. It will null out days used?

Then also I just create a journey from Warsaw to Berlin and use outbound option. System will automatically take 1st day out of  10 from my Pass when I cross the PL/DE border?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

In a simple way:

Your interrail flex pass has 10 travel days to be used at your choice.

Each travel day allows unlimited travel on trains scheduled to depart before 23.59 CET on that day.

When you activated your pass the app created a travel day on that day. (hence it shows 9/10) the tenth is your start day (currently waiting for the train info for that day. 

If you do not travel on that day for any reason, and don’t deactivate your pass before the day starts, you will lose it. This is why members recommend you deactivate your pass now, by deleting your start date as a travel day, and reactivate it just before you board your first train, hopefully on your planned day.

Although your planned journeys are in your trip they are not changed into a valid journey ticket until they are transferred to your travel day in your pass.

The app will then generate a QR code for your travel day and this covers you for all trains you travel on that day AS LONG AS you add them to the pass, either from your trip or as you board the train. These do not need to be added to the pass days in advance. Again the advice is to only add individual trains when you are ready to board - plans change. Trains that have been added but not travelled on should be deleted from the pass.

Your pass simply records the train you are travelling on even if it crosses borders, and, other than your outbound and inbound days it allows travel in all non-home countries on that day. On the other 2 days it allows you to transit unlimited trains in your own country and/or any other country in the scheme.

OOI inbound and outbound are actually optional and can be taken in any order or not at all. This could be used for example by somebody in the UK to cover rail travel to an airport and then for an onward train on the same day from their arrival airport.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Yorkie

Do you mean that when I put Warsaw - Berlin and use outbound journey app will automatically see that the part of journey is within Germany and Germany part will be taken as a first day of the pass?

Yes, but the outbound and inbound travel days are no extra travel days. They are just the opportunity to travel in your home country on a maximum of two of your travel days.

I haven’t started travelling yet. My first day of pass is Saturday 13 August and app already showing 9/10 left.

Good that you have noticed this. As you have activated your pass, the first day of the validity of the pass is made a travel day even if you don't connect a journey for that day. This is why the experienced travellers' advice is to never activate the pass until just before boarding the first train of your travel.  Please read more below about that. 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

@Yorkie 

Do you mean that when I put Warsaw - Berlin and use outbound journey app will automatically see that the part of journey is within Germany and Germany part will be taken as a first day of the pass?

I haven’t started travelling yet. My first day of pass is Saturday 13 August and app already showing 9/10 left.

That is another issue I can not understand :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @mcadv 

I’m using mobile pass. I’ms till not sure what to type :-)

I will use direct train of PKP EIC. What do you mean by VasDum?

How can I use WAW-Berlin as an outbound when part of the trip is in Germany.

I assume Warsaw - PL border is an outbound as per Interrail’s rules and Germany border - Berlin is already 1st day of my standard plan?

P.S. thank you for a tip!

It is easier to understand if you think of the outbound journey as simply a travel day that can include your home country as part of your journeys on that day.

You can make as many train journeys in that day as you like in all Interrail countries. So adding the  scheduled journey from WAW to BER is perfectly acceptable, and any journeys to Warsaw or on from Berlin starting within the hours of 0000 and 2359 on that day are also valid.

Hello @mcadv 

I’m using mobile pass. I’ms till not sure what to type :-)

I will use direct train of PKP EIC. What do you mean by VasDum?

How can I use WAW-Berlin as an outbound when part of the trip is in Germany.

I assume Warsaw - PL border is an outbound as per Interrail’s rules and Germany border - Berlin is already 1st day of my standard plan?

P.S. thank you for a tip!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Dzien dobry.

It is not clear of you have the mobile pass or the old-style paper-for the latter it is NO issue at all-you write ´Vas dum´-WAW and WAW-Berlin AND also fill in the special box for the OUTbound.

AFAIU on the new style mobile you just add the trip VasDum (can even be also on PolRegio, NOT KMazowieckie!!)-Berlin and the app does the work-it will see you use 1 day in homecountry, the lovely POlskie Rzespospol ….with PLN=zloty and no € or so where the PKP runs the IC-pociagowe. You then have to click that you agree with that.

Note: save the zloty-do you know that in DE there is this month still the 9€ ticket valid till 31/8 in ALL local trains/bus/tram everywhere-NOT in the sleek white faster IC/ICE, can buy everywhere, but the longer trips will take much longer-only regional trains.