Solved

Ticket Scan Code

• 26 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 12 replies

Hi. Can anyone please tell me whether the global pass scan code on the mobile app changes when you create a new journey on your trip or does it stay the same throughout. For example, if you took a photo of the scan code at the start of your trip could you just use that if you went out of signal along the route. Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 26 January 2023, 15:05

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

When I tab across to add journey to my pass it only shows information below the scan code for the first journey. I.e I’m going to be travelling on the first leg of the journey from Exeter to London Pad and this part of the journey can be seen below the scan code. For the second leg out of LSP to Paris ( on the same day) nothing shows below the scan code when I push bar across on App.. Not sure what I am doing wrong as I’ve got separate reservation for Eurostar but no reference on App to this leg apart from where you push bar across on My Trip section of App. Can anyone help ?

1. Do you have the latest app update? Version should be 27.0.1 on iOS or 27.0.0 on Android. Check in the app under More and scroll to the bottom.
  2. If so, does restarting the app (or your phone) help to show the train below the QR code?
  3. If not, could you please post a screenshot of My trip showing the journey that is not visible under the QR code?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt  I know you had a list of the cases when you need to have internet access for the app. In what cases does the app need Internet?

1. When you activate your pass.
  2. When you activate a new travel day (also for a continuous pass)
  3. When you generate the QR code after adding the first train of the travel day.
  4. Every 72 hours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The QR code is day specific and stays the same as you add new trains to the list. However the QR code is not a stand alone ticket, it has to have the specific train detailed as well or you are technically without a ticket. For those with a paper pass it is the same if you haven’t written in the train details before inspection.

This may seem a bit pedantic but they are the rules and inspectors may issue a fine or force you to pay full fare. Although a tolerant inspector MAY allow you to correct your error there are many that won’t.

You do not need an internet connection to use your pass or add/delete trains from your pass, but the app does need to access the Internet every couple of days, but not necessarily as you travel. In fact if your app is slow accessing your pass as you travel the advice is to put your device into airplane mode.

Copies/photos/screenshots are all invalid as they could be from somebody else’s pass and claimed as frauds. You cannot have an active pass on more than one device so that is clearly yours and easily checked by the inspector. The same with a paper pass - copies are obvious and unacceptable.

PDFs of reservations are usually acceptable displayed on your device but again some inspectors, especially on night trains, may well request a printed version, but this is always additional to your valid pass. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I must say, I sometimes take a screenshot too. Especially if you go through mountainous terrain, connection can be a bit bad. Never needed to show the screenshot anyway, cause it always popped up (relatively) fluently.

Most ticket inspectors do check the entries below the QR-code though.

In the majority of the long distance trains there’s wifi, so mostly accessing the internet is in 95% of the cases not a problem.

And I think that there are efforts from the mobile phone operators, to strengthen their networks along railways. It’s much better than a couple of years ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you have bad internet connection, than you should turn off internet and use the rail planer app offline. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt  I know you had a list of the cases when you need to have internet access for the app. In what cases does the app need Internet?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks everyone. I’m a bit confused. When I tab across to add journey to my pass it only shows information below the scan code for the first journey. I.e I’m going to be travelling on the first leg of the journey from Exeter to London Pad and this part of the journey can be seen below the scan code. For the second leg out of LSP to Paris ( on the same day) nothing shows below the scan code when I push bar across on App.. Not sure what I am doing wrong as I’ve got separate reservation for Eurostar but no reference on App to this leg apart from where you push bar across on My Trip section of App. Can anyone help ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

When I tab across to add journey to my pass it only shows information below the scan code for the first journey. I.e I’m going to be travelling on the first leg of the journey from Exeter to London Pad and this part of the journey can be seen below the scan code. For the second leg out of LSP to Paris ( on the same day) nothing shows below the scan code when I push bar across on App.. Not sure what I am doing wrong as I’ve got separate reservation for Eurostar but no reference on App to this leg apart from where you push bar across on My Trip section of App. Can anyone help ?

1. Do you have the latest app update? Version should be 27.0.1 on iOS or 27.0.0 on Android. Check in the app under More and scroll to the bottom.
  2. If so, does restarting the app (or your phone) help to show the train below the QR code?
  3. If not, could you please post a screenshot of My trip showing the journey that is not visible under the QR code?

Without meaning to patronise, you do have the Eurostar showing in your trip and are referring to the slider attached to that train, and you are not expecting the app to know you have a Eurostar reservation as well as the train from Exeter?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for everyone’s comments. All sorted now.