What kind of interrail pass suits to my travel plan Euro 2024 ?

• 23 January 2024
  • 17 replies

Hello everyone, 

I live in France and I’m planning to attend seven Euro matchs in Germany as a spectator between June and July 2024.
Therefore, during this lap of time I will to do 4 round tips between Paris-Munich (13 june), Dortmund-Paris (22 june), Paris-Francfort (1 july) and Berlin-Paris (15 july) 

So a little help from someone who would tell me the right pass for my « situation » will be greatly appreciated :)

Best regards, 

Okocha

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

With any pass you can only travel on 2 days in your country of residence. This will be a limitation to your travels. You’d have to buy a separate ticket to the border point* or first stop after the border and then use your pass.

For 4 round trips it might be worth pricing separate tickets first : advance ones are rather cheap through DB. Most trains will be available in February.

Check Eurostar (ex-Thalys) too : you could do Paris - Cologne/Dortmund for 40-50€ on your dates → prices will soon increase. Really good value when Interrail reservations on this route cost 32€.

*valid for TGV/ICE to Germany (not Eurostar). These tickets are called Pass 3, they should be available at SNCF ticket counters but make sure if a ticket to Karlsruhe for example is not cheaper.

https://public-pf.b-europe.com/fr/Producten/Details?id=869946ec-df2e-4e5f-846f-dcbb2b2befe9

Hi thibcabe thanks for your answer. 

If I correctly understand, I could pick up the cheapest pass for example and then to buy a separate ticket between Paris-Munich, Dortmund-Paris and Berlin-Paris for my 4 round trips through DB website ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are discounted Interrail passes available, so you should compare with those:

https://euro2024.interrail.eu/en/go

German domestic tickets for match ticket holders are also quite cheap:

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah you need to make some calculations whether a pass (+ tickets for the extra journeys in France) or regular tickets make more sense.

For example you could book Paris - Dortmund for 50€ one-way (Eurostar) and for other journeys :

• Ouigo tickets for Paris - Strasbourg (19€)
  • TER or tram ticket for Strasbourg - Kehl (few €)
  • DB tickets from Kehl to Frankfurt/Berlin/Munich at 29.90€ one-way.

Honestly I don’t know which option will be better/cheaper!

There are discounted Interrail passes available, so you should compare with those:

https://euro2024.interrail.eu/en/go

German domestic tickets for match ticket holders are also quite cheap:

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

​​​​

Hi rvdborgt. Frankly I went on this website but I got confused about the options for the number of days from interrail. 
For example which pass will work if I want to use it for 7 unique journeys between German cities between 13 june and 9 july ? 

I only understood the concept of match ticket holders within Germany 😅

Yeah you need to make some calculations whether a pass (+ tickets for the extra journeys in France) or regular tickets make more sense.

For example you could book Paris - Dortmund for 50€ one-way (Eurostar) and for other journeys :

• Ouigo tickets for Paris - Strasbourg (19€)
  • TER or tram ticket for Strasbourg - Kehl (few €)
  • DB tickets from Kehl to Frankfurt/Berlin/Munich at 29.90€ one-way.

Honestly I don’t know which option will be better/cheaper!

Oh I see what you mean ! I haven’t thought to travel to Dortmund and then to use DB ticket or interrail pass from Dortmund to Munich who costs only 8€. It’s quite a good idea. I need to think it again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi rvdborgt. Frankly I went on this website but I got confused about the options for the number of days from interrail. 
For example which pass will work if I want to use it for 7 unique journeys between German cities between 13 june and 9 july ? 

You need to count travel days, not journeys. If those 7 journeys are on 7 separate days, then you can use the 7-day pass. But first make a plan. The journeys in your initial post do not look complete, given that you visit 7 matches and only mention 4 journeys (or 6 if you also travel Munich-Dortmund and Frankfurt-Berlin).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sorry if I didn't understand correctly your plan.

So you intend to do Paris - Munich - Dortmund - Paris + Paris - Frankfurt - Berlin - Paris ?

If that's the case I might suggest a 4 or 5 days pass + reservations and separate tickets for Dortmund - Paris (Eurostar) and Berlin - Paris if you intend to use the night train.

But you really need to make calculations once tickets become available in mid-February, especially as Ouigo fares are interesting.

The 29.90€ deal within Germany is a really good one too as it's available at any point until 2 days prior to the trip. They write that availability is limited so you might need to book early. Btw 39.90€ in 1st class is a good offer too!

As opposed to Interrail you'll be tied to a train but if your dates and times are set, why not.

You need to count travel days, not journeys. If those 7 journeys are on 7 separate days, then you can use the 7-day pass. But first make a plan. The journeys in your initial post do not look complete, given that you visit 7 matches and only mention 4 journeys (or 6 if you also travel Munich-Dortmund and Frankfurt-Berlin).

I got it. Basically I have 7 matchs tickets for 7 cities. 
Here are the match schedule : 

-Munich (kick-off June 14, 2024 9 p.m.)
-Düsseldorf (kick-off June 17, 2024 9 p.m.)
-Leipzig (kick-off June 21, 2024 9 p.m.)

-Frankfurt (kick-off July 1, 2024 9 p.m.)
-Hamburg (kick-off July 5, 2024 6 p.m.)
-Dortmund (kick-off July 10, 2024 9 p.m.)
-Berlin (kick-off July 14, 2024 9 p.m.)

Following this program, I will to stay 2 days in Munich. 3 days in Dusseldorf, 4 in Leipzig. I will return to Paris after the match on June 21. Then I’m going to stay in Frankfurt 4 days from Paris on July 1st. 6 days in Hamburg, 4 days in Dortmund and 4 days in Berlin. I will return to France for good on July 15 from Berlin. 

So 7 days will be suitable for me ? Munich-Dusseldorf-Leipzig-Frankfurt-Hamburg-Dortmund-Berlin 

Or alternatively with only pass interrail : 

jeudi, 13 juin 2024

Koeln Hbf - Muenchen Hbf

samedi, 15 juin 2024

Muenchen Hof - Duesseldorf Hof

mardi, 18 juin 2024

Duesseldorf Hbf - Leipzig Hbf

samedi, 22 juin 2024

Leipzig Hbf - Dortmund Hbf

jeudi, 4 juillet 2024

Frankfurt (Main) Hbf - Hamburg Hbf

mardi, 9 juillet 2024

Dortmund Hbf - Berlin Hbf

What do you think about it ? 

Sorry if I didn't understand correctly your plan.

So you intend to do Paris - Munich - Dortmund - Paris + Paris - Frankfurt - Berlin - Paris ?

If that's the case I might suggest a 4 or 5 days pass + reservations and separate tickets for Dortmund - Paris (Eurostar) and Berlin - Paris if you intend to use the night train.

But you really need to make calculations once tickets become available in mid-February, especially as Ouigo fares are interesting.

The 29.90€ deal within Germany is a really good one too as it's available at any point until 2 days prior to the trip. They write that availability is limited so you might need to book early. Btw 39.90€ in 1st class is a good offer too!

As opposed to Interrail you'll be tied to a train but if your dates and times are set, why not.

It’s not a big deal because I know the plan is a bit confused with many trips haha 

Yes exactly I’m planning to do these trips. But I’m especially looking for the most advantageous price even if it means tinkering with my journeys a little, that's fine with me if it allows me to be in the right city at the right time. Okay I note for mid-February 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your plan still doesn't seem complete. Combined with your original post, I gather it will be something like:

13 June
Köln Hbf (Paris?) - München Hbf

15 June
München Hof - Düsseldorf Hof

18 June
Düsseldorf Hbf - Leipzig Hbf

22 June
Dortmund-Paris

Do you need to be in Dortmund? It's usually faster via Frankfurt.

1 July
Paris-Frankfurt

4 July

? July
Hamburg-Dortmund

9 July

15 July
Berlin-Paris

Is this correct?

I count 9 travel days, of which 4 from/to France.

13 June
I will to buy a separate ticket for Paris to Köln Hbf.

Köln Hbf- München Hbf

15 June
München Hof - Düsseldorf Hof

18 June
Düsseldorf Hbf - Leipzig Hbf

22 June
Dortmund-Paris

Do you need to be in Dortmund? It's usually faster via Frankfurt. No really. This is just the result proposed by the application because I left Leipzig around 10:50 p.m. to return to Paris that day

1 July
Paris-Frankfurt

4 July

9 July
Hamburg-Dortmund

12 July

15 July
Berlin-Paris

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Do you really need to be in Cologne/Köln on 13th June ? Otherwise it’s a big detour.

If you don’t want to use one of the 2 inbound/outbound journeys with Interrail, you could buy a separate ticket to Karlsruhe or a Pass 3 ticket (see above) and then use your pass for the last bit to Munich. Or a Ouigo ticket to Strasbourg + TER to Kehl but it’d take a bit longer. I agree it’s a bit complicated...

Leipzig - Dortmund - Paris is a big detour too. Rail Planner does not have the latest French timetables (not published yet) so it might give you funny itineraries… so you’re looking to leave after the match on 21st evening or on 22nd morning ?

If you board a train before midnight and another one the following day, you’ll need 2 pass days. Plenty of daytime options via Frankfurt but if you wish to travel at night, I can find two :

• EN Leipzig Hbf - Offenburg 23:46 - 05:45 seats/couchettes available (going as far as Freiburg is a bit too tight)
  • TGV Offenburg - Paris-Est 07:17 - 09:37

Option 2 :

• ICE Leipzig Hbg - Frankfurt (Main) Hbf 02:28 - 06:40
  • ICE Frankfurt (Main) Hbf - Paris-Est 06:56 - 10:38

But I’d recommend to spend the night in Leipzig for a better experience.

I see clearly the means of traveling now.  I will to use 10 days interrail pass the majority of time once in Germany and to do a separate reservation departing from Paris and returning to Paris (pass 3) 

I looked for one more night in Leipzig but the prices increased quickly that’s why I’d rather leaving this city after the match

I see clearly the means of traveling now.  I will to use 10 days interrail pass the majority of time once in Germany and to do a separate reservation departing from Paris and returning to Paris (pass 3) 
And no need to be in Cologne on June 13, it's just the result given by the rail planner application with a search for Munich. Cologne is a train load for Munich, that’s why.

I looked for one more night in Leipzig but the prices increased quickly that’s why I’d rather leaving this city after the match

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I have no idea how much these Pass 3 tickets cost so I guess you'll have to ask at SNCF counters (if staff is aware of the ticket) and compare with regular tickets to Karlsruhe or another German station.

After the border reservations aren't mandatory, even on trains coming from France so you don't have to pay a second time and you can simply stay on your seat.

Okay understandable about Leipzig. You can now choose between the night train (reservations required for couchettes) which would need 2 pass days or the ICE (regular train with seats) leaving at 2am, not really comfortable but it does the job.

Don't hesitate to ask other questions.

EDIT : for the Paris - Munich journey full timetables will be published soon. The fastest route will be via Mannheim, Karlsruhe or Stuttgart (in that area).

I got it. Wow you and rvdborgt are doing a great job to help me out to figure it clearly. It gives another perspective of my trips to Germany which I would not have thought about without you. I’m really appreciate it ! 

Sure no problem I’m actually perfect the details of my plan ;)