Asking for suggestions for a travel plan

• 28 September 2022
  • 33 replies

Show first post

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks a lot.

Therefore, even for a local trip between, say Nice to Cann, using Eurail pass, I need to add this trip in the planner app to generate a ticket? (I am taking an early train from Paris to Nice on Day 1 of my Eurail pass, and on the same day evening I will travel Nice to Cann and back to Nice in the night, so to take these local trains, I need to add these trains in the app, right? Can I do this addition of local train in the plannar app on the day of the travel? I would like to have some flexibility for taking these trains. What should I do? Thanks again.)

Yes, for all trains that don’t require a reservation you can add them at any time up to immediately before boarding. You can also add and delete as you wish so changing plans isn’t a problem.

Badge

Thanks a lot.

Therefore, even for a local trip between, say Nice to Cann, using Eurail pass, I need to add this trip in the planner app to generate a ticket? (I am taking an early train from Paris to Nice on Day 1 of my Eurail pass, and on the same day evening I will travel Nice to Cann and back to Nice in the night, so to take these local trains, I need to add these trains in the app, right? Can I do this addition of local train in the plannar app on the day of the travel? I would like to have some flexibility for taking these trains. What should I do? Thanks again.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You have to add every train to the app, so the app creates a QR-Code wich is your Ticket. Reservations are only to have a seat assigned. Local trains have the hop on and take a seat system. Other trains like in Switzerland (except some scenic trains), you can reserve a seat but nobody except tourist does it.

Keep in mind that you have not to reserve via eurail.com, but tjere are often more possibilities. Read my answer before, that you can reserve trains in Italy also via Austrian Railways, they do not ask a booking fee like eurail.com. 

Abou starting before, search for trains to Ventimiglia. Eurail.com or the Railplanner app are not up-to-date often, so check also the website of the train company. France: SNCF-connect.com Italy: trenitalia.com Switzerland sbb.ch. For just planning you could use for all trains the swiss one sbb.ch or german bahn.com

Badge

I have a Eurail pass. I was booking a reservation from Nice to Rome. As per Eurail website, I am choosing the option

1. Nice to Rome connection is at 12:36pm from Nice Ville
  1. Then at 13:57 the train is from Ventimiglia to Genova
  1. Next change is at 5:17pm at Genova for Rome

I can see that only Genova  to Rome requires reservation which I am about to buy.

My question is can I take an earlier train from Nice, say at 10am instead of 12:36 and spend some more time in Ventimiglia. The Eurail website is not allowing that. 

During my train ride from Nice to Ventimiglia, how do I show my ticket to the checker if I just hope on on any train? How do I show to the checker that it is Day 2 of my pass?

Please help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Nice to Rome - local train to Ventimiglia, Intercity to Milan, Frecciarossa to Rome - Fees 3 and 10 euro.

Rome to Venice - plenty of trains - High speed direct takes 4 - 5 hours, regional trains can be taken

but takes 8 - 9 hours. Cost about 50 euros pp if pre bought.

One night in Venice is not enough.

Venice - Zurich would be via Milan but not sure what you mean by arrive at night.

Geneva to Zurich plenty of trains. (2 hrs)

From Ventimiglia to Rome there are direct Intercity trains (they need some more time than running via Milan, but are cheeper (only 3€ reservation) and you run via scenic railway at Cinque Terre.

Rome to Venice the reservation for Freccia trains is 10€/person. There are also some Intercity trains (need some time longer, but only 3€/seat) that stop only at Mainland Venice "Venezia Mestre" and you have to change to the first local train to Venezia S. Lucia. Check wich trip will cost less if you don't use the pass for this trip. Keep in mind that in Italy there is not only Trenitalia but also Italo treno italotreno.it , so check both companies wich will cost less. Eurail is only accepted by Trenitalia.

There is an direct Eurocity service Venice-Geneva that arrives late in the evening. I would suggest to use this service so you pay only 1 time the reservation cost of 11€. Check if you can get to your accomodation so late. Also possible is to take the direct Eurocity service to Zürich that starts arround midday-afternoon to get to destination not to late. If you go first Zürich and than Geneva, there are direct trains Geneva-Paris or to pay less you take local TER trains to France and change there to the TGV to Paris, so you pay less.

If you have time, you could put on your plan to get from Venice to Zürich via scenic Bernina Railway - Unesco herritage (Tirano-Chur), included in your Eurail Pass. Direct services need a reservation (or you seat on the first car, where you don't need a reservation), but you can use also the local trains with changes instead. (They need same time). 

Or also possible to take the Glacier Express route from (Zürich-) Chur to Brig (-Geneve) or the other way round via scenic Swiss alps. You need for this direct service a reservation, or using local trains where you have to change. 

Reservations for Italy and Eurocity trains to Switzerland you can get without booking fees via Austrian Railways ÖBB. Check how it works:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Paris to Nice would have to be a direct TGV to get there at that time. There are 2 suitable trains leaving between 9 and 10 am. Journey time about 6 hours. Res fees 10 to 20 euro per ticket.

Nice to Rome - local train to Ventimiglia, Intercity to Milan, Frecciarossa to Rome - Fees 3 and 10 euro.

Rome to Venice - plenty of trains - High speed direct takes 4 - 5 hours, regional trains can be taken

but takes 8 - 9 hours. Cost about 50 euros pp if pre bought.

One night in Venice is not enough.

Venice - Zurich would be via Milan but not sure what you mean by arrive at night.

Geneva to Zurich plenty of trains. (2 hrs)

Zurich to Paris - take one of the options via Basel and Strasburg without res fees then TGV to Paris. Do not take the direct service - res fees are exorbitant.

This is an ambitious trip in 8 days - you will see very little of your destinations. We usually travel one day stay 2 nights, travel 1 stay 2

Badge

I would prefer a slower route to save money. What would be the suggestion for that? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Are you willing to pay the expensive reservation for the international high speed trains from/to France or do you prefer the slower route with some regional trains which is less expensive?

For the travels you plan in Switzerland you don't need any reservations. You just check for a suitable train and show the ticket in your mobile pass.  sbb.ch is a good place to check for Swiss trains.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable.html