Solved

Basel - Ancona - Patras

Badge

Hi!

I am planning to go visit the greek islands with a 6 day pass (+ maybe a 4 day pass).

Now I have the following question:

I know that with the 6 day pass, I have two international days and I know that night connections only count as 1 international day (departure).

When I looked up the connection, I realised that the ferry between Ancona and Patras makes a stop in Igoumenitsa.

Now: I couldnt find out, if the ferry just stops there or if I have to change the ferry. And more importantly if it still counts as "one trip" (-> Ancona to Patras) or if its a different / seperate trip, because that would mean that I had to use a second international day.

Does anyone know that? Thanks for reading thus far :)

Greetings

Daniel & Maria

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 July 2023, 08:01

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Maybe we will get a global pass to cover the journey to Italy

You can of course. :)

Remember the mandatory seat reservation costs in Italy :

- 13€ Frecciarossa

- 3€ IC trains

The EC between Switzerland also cost 10€, however you can easily avoid it. Take any train to Lugano and switch to the RE to Milan.

Those reservations are best bought on tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Interrail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

Badge
  • deleted
Badge

Maybe we will get a global pass to cover the journey to Italy

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are usually cheap advance tickets from Domodossola or Chiasso on trenitalia.com :)

For the Swiss leg you may have the half-fare card and there are often Supersaver tickets too.

It may be cheaper than a Basel - Ancona on trenitalia.com or SBB, double check !

Badge

A big thanks to all of you! In that case I have to buy a ordinary ticket then :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am just unsure wether we can use the pass foe our outbond journey as well (especially in Switzerland): https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/the-greek-islands-pass/outbound-inbound-international-journeys-with-the-6-day-greek-isl

I find the informations on this site a bit confusing. Does anyone know more?

It's simple: the 6-day Greek Islands pass is only valid on Greek domestic ferries and on ferries between Italy and Greece. The only train that can be used is the one between (Patra -) Kiato and Piraeus.

It looks like they use the outbound/inbound mechanism in the app to manage the 2 travel days on the ferries Italy-Greece.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I would understand the information there that way that you are allowed to make two international journeys (=use the ferry between Greece and Italy or reverse one time each).

At least this phrase makes me think like that:

You're entitled to 2 international journeys with your 6-day Greek Islands Pass; one journey to enter Greece and one to leave Greece. 

So suppose you’ll need a separate ticket for the trip from Switzerland to the port in Italy and back.
Maybe someone from the support can clarify this 100% for sure.

Badge

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for all the answer! In that case well try to just use one international day :)

I am just unsure wether we can use the pass foe our outbond journey as well (especially in Switzerland): https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/the-greek-islands-pass/outbound-inbound-international-journeys-with-the-6-day-greek-isl

I find the informations on this site a bit confusing. Does anyone know more?

Greetings Dani

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I habe used the Patra-Bari ferry bus Igoumenitsa previously and it was nonstop. Logistic-wise wouldn’t make sense to offload and onload a ferry again so I don’t think you will have to change ferry… 98% sure. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

AFAIK there's no change of ferry needed at Igoumenitsa.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If I understood correctly, the two International days, are intended to use the ferry Greece-Italy. You’ll need to look for ordinary train tickets to get to Ancona.

For your first question, no idea. But my educated guess will be, that even if you require a change to another ferry, you’ll need another travel day. But not an international one, as Igoumenitsa is already Greece.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

EDIT : You were asking about the Greek Islands pass so I don't know.

Badge

Can we also use the pass foe the outbound journey out of Switzerland (homecountry) or does the international day only count outside of the homecountry?