Solved

Cities to visit

• 10 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi all

We are traveling by train from Switzerland to Italy between 26 Feb to 8 Mar 24 and following the route Zurich to Milan to Venice to Florence to Rome. 

We have an option to stay 3 nights in Milan and 2 nights in Florence or vice versa. I am after your suggestion if Milan where we should spend 3 nights or should we spend 3 nights in Florence which will leave 2 nights for Milan. Our interests of seeing Italy are from both an ancient historical side as well as a 21st century modern Italian life, say roughly 50% 50%

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 10 January 2024, 23:04

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Milan is a business city. It’s not as beautiful as other Italian cities, especially in winter under the constant Po Valley fog… (just been there). I’d spend the 3 nights in Florence.

Coming from Zurich and northern Switzerland let me recommend you the simply stunning Bernina route. It is slower than the direct trains for sure but it’s worth the detour. The itinerary would look like this (hourly trains with extra straightforward changes in Samedan and Pontresina) :

• IC3 Zürich HB - Chur 07:07 - 08:22
  • Bernina Express Chur - Tirano 08:28 - 12:49
  • R Tirano - Milano Centrale 13:08 - 15:40

The Bernina Express has a 36 CHF reservation for the panorama carriages but you can use the reservation-free regular carriages at the front (Allegra unit). More here : https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/bernina-express.htm

Thank you very much for prompt reply. Much appreciated. 
We do have reservations on Bernina Express on the 26th morning at 8:30 from Chur. We will be arriving in Milan via Tirano in the evening. 

we will consider your suggestion to have more time in Florence. I will discuss with my fellows who will be traveling with me. 

Does anyone else have any further feedback?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Difficult decision what will be better - Milano has in the surroundings some nice places with the lakes and mountains while Firenze also has some nice hilly surroundings… personally I like Firenze more, but actually in 1-2 days you’ve seen it. But you can make daytrip to San Gimignano, Pisa, Lucca or Siena…. all worth a visit. 
As you will have mountains already on the Bernina express and pass lake Como on the way from Tirano to Milano, maybe I’d choose Firenze for 3 nights and spend 2 nights in Milano.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’d choose Florence over Milan for the reasons mentioned above

Userlevel 1
Badge

Bernina is well worth doing but don't pay extra for the scenic train, just us a normal service .

The normal train runs along the same line is invariably empty, windows can be pulled down for scenic photos. 

Thank you very much all