Eurail Global Pass vs Swiss travel pass

• 28 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi! My group of friends and I will be travelling Europe for around 22 days before the start of school and I was wondering if I should get the Eurail Global pass AND Swiss travel pass OR just the Eurail one. A rough schedule would be:

• 5 days in Switzerland (Bern, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zurich)
  • 4 days in Paris
  • 5 days in Belgium 
  • 4 days in London

Since we are students, we thought that the offers/benefits from Swiss travel pass would help us save costs greatly since we might be taking the mountain excursions and whatnot. But I am still in a dilemma of whether to spend SGD 238 (approx 166 euros) for 3 days on the Swiss pass… 

Help is much needed, thank you!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Assuming you are travelling most days a 22 day continuous pass seems a realistic option at $371 compared with the 10 days in 2 months at $287 where you have to count the travel days.

However if you were to go for the 7 days in a month plus the 3 day Swiss pass it would cost over $400 and limit you to 7 travel days or about $450 dollars for 10+3.

You can travel much of Switzerland with a Global pass but need extra for mountain and panoramic coaches in some trains.

One word of advice, make sure you check availability of Eurostar trains as pass holder seats are limited and can require a lot of flexibility to choose suitable journeys. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The main difference between the Eurail Global pass and the Swiss Travel pass is that the Swiss Travel pass includes all post busses, local transport is all cities, free entance to many museums and 50 % discount instead of 25 % discount on the travels in the Jungfrau-region. 

You need to do the maths and calculate what will cost less, but I don't think that a Swiss Travel pass will be worth the money. 

Hi! My group of friends and I will be travelling Europe for around 22 days before the start of school and I was wondering if I should get the Eurail Global pass AND Swiss travel pass OR just the Eurail one. A rough schedule would be:

• 5 days in Switzerland (Bern, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zurich)
  • 4 days in Paris
  • 5 days in Belgium 
  • 4 days in London

Since we are students, we thought that the offers/benefits from Swiss travel pass would help us save costs greatly since we might be taking the mountain excursions and whatnot. But I am still in a dilemma of whether to spend SGD 238 (approx 166 euros) for 3 days on the Swiss pass… 

Help is much needed, thank you!

I did this before. It does make sense if you plan to take some expensive trips that are not included with EURAIL but are included with your SwissPass (e.g. boat and cogwheel train trip from Lucerne, alps passes by bus, mountain trip from Interlaken).

You didn't tell when you are exactly plan to go and what your exact route is, but there are also some passes for certain regions in Switzerland that will include trips up on the mountains that may better suit your needs. And it's also possible to buy them at the station when you'll know what the weather is about.…

Greetings, Hektor.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can also turn around-smart Singyś from that fine city are well able to: use the lines that are incl in EUrail-some are just as fine as the general overhyped and very expensive ;lines you have to pay extra for. F.e. that also quite overhyped Zermatt is free to reach then. The selfies will look much the same!

Selamat jalan dan selamat tahun baru!