Ferries not allowing foot passengers (please sign the petition!)

• 1 March 2024
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

I would like to draw your attention to a problem that I have noticed, especially when planning my Interrail trip to the British Isles next summer, but which may also be a problem in other countries.

The ferry route between Rosslare Harbour (Ireland) and Pembroke (South Wales) is currently operated by Irish Ferries. In recent weeks, the Norbay ferry (aka Economy Ferry) has been operating there, on which no pedestrians or cyclists are permitted - so you can't travel on it as a train passenger.

The pedestrian-friendly ferry "Oscar Wilde", which is actually intended for this route, has not been used on this route in recent weeks. It is currently running again, but only until March 19 according to the plan, then it will be the Norbay ferry again.

Although there is an alternative route offered by Stena Line from Rosslare to Fishguard, on which foot passengers are always permitted, Fishguard is less convenient for many people, and this route was also completely canceled until mid-February.

While researching this problem, I came across an article by a cyclist who was also refused boarding on this route by Irish Ferries. As this approach of turning away non-motorized travelers is absolutely not in line with the promotion of sustainable travel and especially train travel, I would like to draw your attention to the petition she started: https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/ferries-stop-discrimination-against-cyclists-and-foot-passengers

If you are not from Ireland, you can still complete the petition by selecting "not from ireland" for the question "What is your constituency?". I would be delighted if as many members of the Interrail community as possible would sign the petition so that the problem receives the attention it deserves. Thank you!

Have you also had problems with this issue or alternative solutions?

0 replies

Be the first to reply!