From Munich to Salzburg and back. Best way to do it?

We are 2 seniors from Israel and we are planning to land in Munich and then take a train to Zalsburg. After 5 days to return back to Munich. We want to see a bit of Tirol and lakes. What is the best way to do it? Wich pass fit for us and is it worthwhile to do it this wey?

Thanks in advance for your help

Dorit 

11 replies

Hi

We are intent to be in Munich next month. But as I found out in BRB rail website it's possible to get to Zalsburg with the 9 Euro tickets 

Enjoy 

Dorit Kozak 

Hi. I will be also travelling from Munich to Salzburg. Is the 9 euro ticket also valid from Salzburg to Munich if i will take the BRB train?

MANY THANKS BUT WE WILL BE IN MUNICH ON AOUGUST. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

KUfstein (ever heard of maps?) is the 1st stop IN Austria when you take train from MÜnchen to Innsbruck. So-if you want to get that Tirol Pass (also valid on postbuses etc, but not the very expensive special mountain cabins), get off there and buy from counter. Then take next train onward.

Note that from Salzb to Tirol there are 2 ways: DIREct trains run ´korridor´=non stop via germany (and enter also Kufstein), you have to buy separate ticket for this, OR via inland route via Zell am See.

Note that IN salzburg land transit (train, trolley, bus) is FREE on FRIdays till late june-maybe you can fit this in.

Das 9-Euro-Ticket gilt auch bis Salzburg bei ÖBB und BRB. Ausdrücklich in den Beförderungsbedingungen Anlage 1.2 aufgeführt. ;-)

Aber das ist auch eher eine Randnotiz...

DEAR FREIND,

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR RESPONDING.  CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME THE LINK WHERE IT’S WRITTEN

THANKS A LOT AND GOOD EVENING.

DORIT

(But it's written in german language)

https://assets.static-bahn.de/dam/jcr:673067a3-133b-4d86-b0d9-399db92915f4/20220523_BB_9-Euro-Ticket_f%C3%BCr-bahn-de_neu.pdf

For travel IN Tirol=from Kufstein, there is a cheap 7-day pass for ALL trains+Bus, for about 46€-also a real bargain.

DEAR FREIND,

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLAY.

WHERE IS KUFSTAIN? IS IT CLOSE TO MUNICH? WE WILL LAND THERE.

HAVE A GRATE DAY,

DORIT

Das 9-Euro-Ticket gilt auch bis Salzburg bei ÖBB und BRB. Ausdrücklich in den Beförderungsbedingungen Anlage 1.2 aufgeführt. ;-)

DEAR FREIND,

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR RESPONDING.  CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME THE LINK WHERE IT’S WRITTEN

THANKS A LOT AND GOOD EVENING.

DORIT

Tirol is the western area of Austria around Innsbruck to the Swissborder

Salzburg is in a different area. The major question is when will you travel and where you spot are mainly. most in Germany  or in Austria.

A Eurailtravelday cost arround 30€per day so if you do daytrips that are under 30€ you may use local offers.

For example in June/July/August you can travel for 9€ per month with any regionaltrain and public transport in whole Germany. Yeah 9€ for a entire month and not just a day :D In that case you need a cheap ticket from Freilassing to Salzburg as this short leg is not covered by the 9€ ticket.

DEAR FREIND,

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR RESPONCE.

MY PLAN IS TO COME TO MUNICH ON 5TH AOUGUST. STAY 2 DAYS, UNTILL SUN. AND THEN TO TAKE A TRAIN TO ZALSBURG, STAY UNTILL FRI, TRAVLE TO THE LAKES AND MOUNTAINS AND RETURN BACK TO MUNICH FOR 1 NIGHT. AT THE NEXT DAY TO RETURN HOME.

I THOUGHT IT’S TIROL.  WHICH RAIL CARD DO I NEED FOR TRAVEL TO ZALSBURG AND BACK TO MUNICH, FOR 2 SENIORS, AND HOW MUCH WILL IT COST US?

THANKS AGAIN,

DORIT KOZAK

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For travel IN Tirol=from Kufstein, there is a cheap 7-day pass for ALL trains+Bus, for about 46€-also a real bargain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tirol is the western area of Austria arround Innsbruck to the Swissborder

Salzburg is in a different area. The major question is when will you travel and where you spot are mainly. most in Germany  or in Austria.

A Eurailtravelday cost arround 30€per day so if you do daytrips that are under 30€ you may use local offers.

For example in June/July/August you can travel for 9€ per month with any regionaltrain and public transport in whole Germany. Yeah 9€ for a entire month and not just a day :D In that case you need a cheap ticket from Freilassing to Salzburg as this short leg is not covered by the 9€ ticket.