Skip to main content

Has someone here been to Auschwitz, in Poland? How was this experience? Was it expensive? What is the best option: train or airplane? In my Eurotrip I'm planning to go there, but I don't know anyone who has visited that city. 

Yes, it is “worth” it.
You can go there by train. Best from Krakow or Katowice.
Then you can walk to the place. (check google maps)

As same was asked a day or 2 agio- I checked and found that as for NOW there are long overdue works along the direct line from Krakow-where about 99,99% of tourists tend to stay and that means BUStitution part of the way. No idea how long that will work-and most here are so anxious they ask too many monthes ahead anyway. Also: these trains are local and thus cannot even be RES. SOME trains may also not accept passes (PolRegio and PKP do, Slaskie and Malopolskie not). PL has a rather confusing set up system of local train companies that may be hard to understand for those from afar.

From my own exper: the big majority of visitors from Krk simply book a convenient seat in a minibus/grouptour at the place they stay hat will have more civilised timings and hardly cost more as normal fare by train. Even then a train return for the day will cost a lot less as an average passday.

I  Polski town is named Oswiecim and it is not a city-just a minor village now for 80% geared to receiving tourists. There is even a direct help centre for those who get too stressed about it-and those are quite a few. In fact PL are quite proud on their language and culture and many towns will have different names as you may be using or have seen.