Solved

Have you been to Auschwitz by train?

• 7 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Has someone here been to Auschwitz, in Poland? How was this experience? Was it expensive? What is the best option: train or airplane? In my Eurotrip I'm planning to go there, but I don't know anyone who has visited that city. 

icon

Best answer by MartinM 7 February 2023, 15:02

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes, it is “worth” it.
You can go there by train. Best from Krakow or Katowice.
Then you can walk to the place. (check google maps)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As same was asked a day or 2 agio- I checked and found that as for NOW there are long overdue works along the direct line from Krakow-where about 99,99% of tourists tend to stay and that means BUStitution part of the way. No idea how long that will work-and most here are so anxious they ask too many monthes ahead anyway. Also: these trains are local and thus cannot even be RES. SOME trains may also not accept passes (PolRegio and PKP do, Slaskie and Malopolskie not). PL has a rather confusing set up system of local train companies that may be hard to understand for those from afar.

From my own exper: the big majority of visitors from Krk simply book a convenient seat in a minibus/grouptour at the place they stay hat will have more civilised timings and hardly cost more as normal fare by train. Even then a train return for the day will cost a lot less as an average passday.

I  Polski town is named Oswiecim and it is not a city-just a minor village now for 80% geared to receiving tourists. There is even a direct help centre for those who get too stressed about it-and those are quite a few. In fact PL are quite proud on their language and culture and many towns will have different names as you may be using or have seen.