Skip to main content
Solved

Help with route planning please - UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy

• 30 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi all, 

I have a global pass to explore Europe this summer and I am struggling to nail down my route, hoping you can help!

I am currently looking to travel from the UK into Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Portugal (through Pontevedra & Vigo) but I then want to get back to the South of France, onward to Italy. Currently this feels quite clunky as I’d be going ‘back on myself’ ie. from Portugal via train, I would need to back through Pontevedra & Vigo to get to Madrid, Barcelona and then to Marseille / Nice. If I can, I’d like to avoid flights due to needing to check luggage in which drives the price through the roof! Hoping someone with a bit more geography sense (or just...sense) can point me in the right direction ;)

Thanks in advance!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are currently only 2 open rail routes from Spain to Portugal, via Vigo or Badajoz both with only a few daily connections. It is also possible to travel via the south coast but there is a gap that you have to take a bus to cross the border.

This page gives a good overview of the routes, of course you don’t have to follow these schedules precisely but it is a reasonable place to start.

https://www.seat61.com/Portugal.htm

If scenic lines are of interest the Duro valley from Porto to Pocinho is fantastic but really only possible as an out and back day trip.

There are currently only 2 open rail routes from Spain to Portugal, via Vigo or Badajoz both with only a few daily connections. It is also possible to travel via the south coast but there is a gap that you have to take a bus to cross the border.

This page gives a good overview of the routes, of course you don’t have to follow these schedules precisely but it is a reasonable place to start.

https://www.seat61.com/Portugal.htm

If scenic lines are of interest the Duro valley from Porto to Pocinho is fantastic but really only possible as an out and back day trip.

Thanks Al_G! This is really useful. In terms of the route itself (going from the UK > Paris > Barcelona > Madrid > Portugal > Madrid > Barcelona > Marseille/Nice) - is there any alternative route which would avoid me having to come back on myself, in order to get back through to the south of France?

I was thinking to go from Faro to Seville and then back through to Barcelona but this doesn’t seem to work!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Faro - Seville would be by bus. They're frequent and it's a pleasant experience, don't worry.

Since you list Barcelona twice there's only one alternative I could think of:

- night train Paris - Latour de Carol in the Pyrénées (couchette 20€) and then by regional train to Barcelona

Scenic route!

Otherwise forget Barcelona on the way in and do Paris - Hendaye - Euskotren to San Sebastian (3€). Then a long travel day to Vigo (via Madrid or not).

Faro - Seville would be by bus. They're frequent and it's a pleasant experience, don't worry.

Since you list Barcelona twice there's only one alternative I could think of:

- night train Paris - Latour de Carol in the Pyrénées (couchette 20€) and then by regional train to Barcelona

Scenic route!

Otherwise forget Barcelona on the way in and do Paris - Hendaye - Euskotren to San Sebastian (3€). Then a long travel day to Vigo (via Madrid or not).

Thank you!