Solved

Italy form Czech/Vienna Christmass, (with dog)

• 12 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi there, 
I wanted to go to Italy by train with my mum and medium size dog.
First we wanted to go from Czech republic thru Greece and then Italy and back, but it seems Greece isn’t passable still. We replanned and decided to go around Italy, but I wasn't able to make a reservation in night train from Vienna to Rome.
Then I haven't found any information or possibility to book a ticket for a dog or any condition on the web of Tranitalia.
I am quite lost.

Do you have any experience with / suggestions for traveling by trains around Europe with a dog and mum by the time of Christmas? :)

Thank you for any help!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 13 December 2023, 00:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I don't have experience sorry but I can forward you to this link (don't know how up-to-date it is though) : https://www.seat61.com/dogs-by-train.htm#taking-dogs-on-trains-in-mainland-europe

Remember to book ASAP trains requiring mandatory reservations. The period around Christmas is very very busy.

Since the night train between Vienna and Italy is likely full which route are you looking to take ?

There are 2 Prague - Zurich night trains (but they might be full too!) and from there it's easy to reach Northern Italy. You likely need to book the whole compartment if you're travelling with a dog.

Or daytime trains from Munich to Verona/Bologna or Vienna to Venice. Reservations are optional but very recommended, otherwise you might have to stand. On those 2 routes there is a 10€ passholder surcharge.

Feel free to ask further questions. If you mention (ideal) travel dates I'll be able to help more easily.

Good night!

Hello!I live in Rome so maybe I could help you

Small dogs travel for free on train but inside dog carrier

Medium/big dogs will pay;to buy tickets for it you have to select your destination then before paying there is a section add service/need others section

Let me know if it works or need more support

Ciao! enjoy Italy 

Thank you both for answers and helping me. I wanna get to Sicily, so I was thinking about 

Vienna > Venezia

Venezia > Bari

Bari > Neapoli

Neapole > Messina

back:

Mesina > Rome

Rome > Fortezza

Fortezza > Vienna

Trains with seat reservation required, I can book and pay in ItaliaRail. Am I right? And there I can also buy a ticket for a dog (half price of normal ticket)? 

But in some trains is sign ‘Seat reservation recommended’ plus other one: ‘Supplement reqiured’
But I haven't really found, what does it mean and where to pay it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For reservations have a look at https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

They are optional on EC/RJ trains between Austria and Italy (very recommended though!) and there's a 10€ mandatory passholder supplement in any case.

Honestly I don't know how you can buy dog tickets without buying adult tickets (which you won't need since you'll have the pass). Maybe someone knows...

As said on this link, it is possible to buy those dog tickets at stations. I guess there's no limit on availability since the dog won't take a seat.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en/services/travelling_with_yourpets.html