Solved

planning a trip

Show first post

156 replies

Badge +2

we will buy the junior card for my grandchild, thanks for advice.

i just booked the seats from zurich to munchen.

Actually the prices for couchettes like the one we paid for 174 and 349 do they include tickets as well, altso you know we already have tickets / passes?

- Zermatt - Visp - Brig - Spiez (Old Lötschberg Line instead of the 35-km tunnel) - Zweisimmen - Montreux - Geneva - how long does this trip take?

btw - somewhere on the net i found info, that tourist staying in Geneva in paid accomodation are entitled to free public transport within Geneva. Is it right and if so how to get these tickets?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As you're travelling with your grandchild, you'll need to ask for the Children Co-Travelcard (same price) instead of the Junior card, which is for parents and children.

349€ includes a ticket but I'm not sure for the 174€ ones. You will use your Interrail pass anyway, no ?

- Zermatt - Visp 08:37 - 09:46 1h09

- Visp - Brig 09:55 - 10:02 7 min

- Brig - Spiez 10:36 - 11:44 1h08

- Spiez - Zweisimmen 12:12 - 12:59 47 min

- Zweisimmen - Montreux 13:02 - 15:11 2h09

- Montreux - Genève 15:17 - 16:31 1h14

This is the longest and most scenic one (same schedule every hour).

- Zermatt - Visp 10:13 - 11:22 1h09

- Visp - Spiez 11:27 - 11:53 26 min (through the 35-km long Lötschberg Tunnel

- and then same route as above

Middle option

- Zermatt - Visp

- Visp - Geneva

For all your journeys in Switzerland, incl. trains, buses, trams, boats,... you can use the SBB app : very reliable and useful. It covers also all European trains so could be useful elsewhere too (it doesn't always give delays outside Switzerland or last-minute schedule changes due to engineering works*)

Yes it is true, all infos here :

https://www.geneve.com/en/already-here/geneva-transport-card-for-guests

*It'll be interesting to see if the SBB app shows the engineering works between Milano and Tirano this summer !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As you're travelling with your grandchild, you'll need to ask for the Children Co-Travelcard (same price) instead of the Junior card, which is for parents and children.

349€ includes a ticket but I'm not sure for the 174€ ones. You will use your Interrail pass anyway, no ?

- Zermatt - Visp 08:37 - 09:46 1h09

- Visp - Brig 09:55 - 10:02 7 min

- Brig - Spiez 10:36 - 11:44 1h08

- Spiez - Zweisimmen 12:12 - 12:59 47 min

- Zweisimmen - Montreux 13:02 - 15:11 2h09

- Montreux - Genève 15:17 - 16:31 1h14

This is the longest and most scenic route (same schedule every hour)

Yes it is true, all infos here :

https://www.geneve.com/en/already-here/geneva-transport-card-for-guests

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Other routes from Zermatt :

Middle option

- Zermatt - Visp 10:13 - 11:22

- Visp - Spiez 11:27 - 11:53 (through the 35 km Lötschberg Tunnel)

- and then the same route as above

Shortest option

- Zermatt - Visp 10:13 - 11:22

- Visp - Genève 11:35 - 13:50

The SBB app is very useful and reliable (also for delays) for all train travels around Switzerland + even all around Europe ! :) I'd recommend to download it. For example it'll give you the platform of every train in advance

(Couldn't post my last post, I guess it was too long)

Badge +2

my daughter, also my grandchild mother will be with us as well, so i hope we find out with the junior card.

that's the meaning with the question about the prices for couchettes, if in the price of couchettes the tickets are included, so it´s pointless using passes for these trips. I just do not remember , if whilst booking i have chosen option seats only or not.

i think we take the longest option, thanks for the advice

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Either the Junior or the Co-Travelcard will work, no problem.

Well you'll still use the pass days before and after the Nightjet so it doesn't change much.

Just a check on Nightjet's website :

- 176€ with Interrail pass (so no tickets), flexible cancellation too

- 359€ with non-flexible tickets

So there's a difference for that journey at least.

I believe the 349€ price will stay the same whether you have a pass or not as it is labelled as a "private" compartment

You're welcome for the advice. :)

Badge +2

Hi again,

i was trying to check / book connections in Italy on sbb.ch and it said something like booking not possible and  all trains from verona to venice was exactly 1 hour. Then i checked on trenitalia and there were different trains but there was no option for seats only. How can I do it?

Badge +2

it said exactly .. reservation impossible… does it mean the train has already no seats left 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No don't worry. There are plenty of seats available.

Use tickets.oebb.at : add Interrail as a discount and select one-way tickets. You cannot book Interrail seat reservations on sbb.ch or trenitalia.com

This website (Austrian railways) works for all journeys in Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland (cross-border EC trains to Italy), etc.

You could book a Frecciarossa 10€ seat reservation between Verona Porta Nuova and Venezia S. Lucia (the correct train station, Mestre is on the mainland) but in my opinion it is not worth it : Frecciarossa trains take 1h12 and RegioExpress leaving every hour at xx:22 take 1h28. Those are reservation-free and therefore allow you much more flexibility for your travel. You only need to hop on (and add the journey to the app, as for any train) ! :)

From what I can see though, there might or might not be 1st class on those regional trains. You can always sit in 2nd class with your 1st pass. If you want to make sure to sit in 1st class, then book Frecciarossa seat reservations (10€ per person per journey) when available. But then you lose the flexibility of leaving Venice when you feel like it... So in the end it's your choice !

For the journey Verona Porta Nuova - Milano Centrale (Bernina day), I'd this time advise you to take the Frecciarossa (10€) for sure.

It is not yet possible to book any trains within Italy as Trenitalia hasn't released all its summer schedule yet. Don't worry, it'll come soon enough. Check tickets.oebb.at in a few days

Badge +2

thanks,

i just visited Gornergrat website, beautiful, but this the the train only, right?

I don`t remember where, but I saw some pictures of cabel cars in Zermatt? with some map of the connections between them, do you know where to find them?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes Gornergrat is a cogwheel railway.

I've found this map, let me know if it doesn't work :

https://www.zermatt.ch/content/download/69993/3222702/version/1/file/Panoramakarte.pdf

Matterhorn Glacier Paradise can be nice too but it is even more expensive (no combo Gornergrat + Glacier Paradise tickets in summer) : 45 min-1h to go up

The child will climb for free with the Junior card/Co-Travelcard, whether it is the Gornergrat, Matterhorn Glacier Paradise or somewhere else, so that's nice !

Badge +2

Yeah, very useful, thanks.

What would you recommend if we would have to choose between these two?

On the 10th of July we have to get from Ljubljana to Verona. I just checked on oebb and there is only some connections through Austria and it takes like 10 hours, then I checked just to Venice and the same.

Any suggestions how to get from Ljubljana to Verona?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Any suggestions how to get from Ljubljana to Verona?

Italian summer timetables are not complete yet.

Check timetables for next week to get an idea of what's possible. Then come back in April or May and then you should be able to check on the real travel date.

Badge +2

I did that, i keep forgetting about the delay with Italian timetable.

I found a few, but on the details it says that there is like a gap between nova Gorica and Gorizia centale and it says .. weiter mit bus oder taxi.,..i know what it means in German but what it means for our trip?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There's indeed a bus (line 1) from Nova Gorica to Gorizia Centrale. It is not included but it's inexpensive (€1.35 last year) and there's a ticket machine at the Via Caprin/Transalpina bus stop right in front of Nova Gorica station. Timetable here (click on "Mappa e orari Linea 1”). The bus station next to Gorizia Centrale railway station is called "Centro Intermodale Passeggeri”. The bus ride takes about 10 minutes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here are the best connections (look for May as advised) :

(might be the best connection if that fits your schedule)

- Ljubljana - Trieste Centrale 14:21 - 17:16

- Trieste Centrale - Venezia Mestre 18:16 - 20:09

- Venezia Mestre - Verona Porta Nuova 20:23 - 21:38

No guarantee to get 1st class seats on the last 2 legs but should be plenty of seats.

OR (early start)

- Ljubljana - Trieste Centrale 05:47 - 08:33

- Trieste Centrale - Venezia Mestre 09:16 - 11:09

- Venezia Mestre - Verona Porta Nuova 11:23 - 12:38

No guarantee to get 1st class seats but you can always sit in 2nd class.

OR (longer and more connections but a scenic and interesting journey for sure)

- Ljubljana 09:23 - Villach Hbf (free seat reservation, 38 min connection) - Lienz in Osttirol - Fortezza/Franzensfeste (36 min) - Verona 18:58 (free seat reservation too)

OR via Gorizia as you've seen before

- Ljubljana 10:00 - Jesenice 11:07

- Jesenice 11:15 - Nova Gorica 13:04

- bus transfer 13:22 - 13:32

- Gorizia Centrale 14:24 - Venezia Mestre 16:46

- Venezia Mestre 17:00 - 18:00 (10€)

No 1st class until Venezia Mestre.

This might be too tight (don't know) :

- Gorizia Centrale 13:43 - Venezia Mestre 15:46

- Venezia Mestre 16:00 - Verona 17:00 (10€)

Badge +2

thank you all for your help

Badge +2

I was looking at the map from your link again.

But i could not find Matterhorn peak unless is it the same like durfourspitze?

And where from exactly are the picturens with the lake and Matterhorn taken?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Matterhorn Glacier Paradise is in the middle of the map at 3883 m.

The real Matterhorn is under it (while it is higher in altitude in reality), it is kind of a schematic map (no real distances whatsoever).

It is the Riffelsee on the Gornergrat Railway, as I explained before it is a convenient and easy hike (but you won't be alone).

"With your Gornergrat ticket you are allowed to leave the train at every stop and hike a little bit before taking the train again. Many people hike between Gornergrat or Rotenboden - Riffelsee - Riffelberg. You have the best possible view of the Matterhorn too (reflected in a lake). You can have a look at pictures. Of course you won't be alone but that's the same for every hiking trail. The trail is not hard but keep in mind that you are above 2500 m elevation."

Badge +2

Hi again,

i was looking for different connections between ljubljna and verona and then verona milan on the 27 th march ( just to check the timetable etc ) on oebb.at. I put the infor about our passes and following happen

Ticket gilt nur von Ljubljana bis Nova Gorica

Ticket nicht verfügbar   

what does it mean. altso that there were no seats avelaible?

I was trying to find connection from Chur to Vaduz for the 13th of july on oebb.at, but I could not find like return tickets. I should buy first to vaduz and then separate back to chur and pay twice 39,90 euro. Is it not possible on this line buy return tickets? On this day we will not use our passes.

And something about Switzerland

• do you use the same plugs like in Germany?
  • as 1 chf = 1 euro, can I pay cash with euro in Switzerland, e.g on buses?

Badge +2

It is the Riffelsee on the Gornergrat Railway, as I explained before it is a convenient and easy hike (but you won't be alone).

sorry , missed that, now i can see on the map this walking route and the matterhorn , it is just in the middle of the map and not on the top of the map like others peaks

I found a peak to peak tickets, where the way up is with gornergrat and the way down with cable cars or the other way round, I think we take this one and it costs like 141 chf

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Peak2peak ticket is indeed the best ticket for both Gornergrat and Matterhorn Glacier Paradise. I've used it twice !

Last year it cost 197 CHF in summer (although I paid half-fare due to my Swiss tickets). At least the child travels for free (with the Junior card).

Do not buy the ticket in advance as if the weather is bad, you don't loose 600 CHF…

You will need to go to a ticket counter on the day to get the free Junior card ticket anyway (not possible online).

Last year's trip report :

- Arrival in Zermatt at 11:00... (travelled from my hometown)

- no waiting at all at the Gornergrat Railway ticket counters

- 15 min walk to the cable car station (free buses too)

- Zermatt - Trockener Steg : 6-people cable car (you should get the cabin all to yourselves) for the 30-35 min climb to 3000m

- Trockener Steg - Matterhorn Glacier Paradise : about 10 min to the top, big and shiny new cabins

- at the top : all infos available online

- back the same way until Furi (last intermediate stop before Zermatt)

- Furi - Riffelberg cable car 15 min

- Riffelberg - Gornergrat 10 min

- Gornergrat - Zermatt 40 min

- back home…

You need to do the trip that way as the last cable car from Matterhorn Glacier Paradise is before 16:00 (even in summer !). Gornergrat trains run every 24 min until 18:00 and then every hour

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

i was looking for different connections between ljubljna and verona and then verona milan on the 27 th march ( just to check the timetable etc ) on oebb.at. I put the infor about our passes and following happen

Ticket gilt nur von Ljubljana bis Nova Gorica

Ticket nicht verfügbar   

what does it mean. altso that there were no seats avelaible?

That depends on what connection you're looking at.

For which departure time did you see this?

I was trying to find connection from Chur to Vaduz for the 13th of july on oebb.at, but I could not find like return tickets. I should buy first to vaduz and then separate back to chur and pay twice 39,90 euro. Is it not possible on this line buy return tickets? On this day we will not use our passes.

You'd better check sbb.ch. Also note that Vaduz is not close to the station of Schaan-Vaduz. You'll either need a bus from Schaan-Vaduz or from Buchs.

And something about Switzerland

• do you use the same plugs like in Germany?

No, but 2-pin thin plugs will still fit. For plugs with earth (ground), you'll need an adaptor.

• as 1 chf = 1 euro, can I pay cash with euro in Switzerland, e.g on buses?

I doubt it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I did not see these messages, my bad…

Please use sbb.ch (or the SBB app) as advised.

Some thoughts :

To get to Vaduz the most straight-forward route is

- any train to Sargans

- Bus 12 or 12E (Express) to Vaduz, Post

It takes less than 50 min and there are multiple connections per hour.

Ticket is 37,60 CHF return valid all day on all trains to Sargans and buses to Vaduz. No need to buy these tickets in advance but you can (from 60 days prior to travel date). The Junior Card is valid so do not buy a ticket for the child.

You can pay using Euros (and all debit/credit cards, even bitcoins !) at ticket machines but they'll give change back in Swiss Francs. Bus drivers usually do not accept Euros (but I've seen it happen). You won't need to pay anything at all on buses anyway as the tickets bought in Chur will be valid all the way to Vaduz

That's a great feature of the Swiss public transport network : you can buy trains, buses, boats tickets at any ticket machine !

Badge +2

For which departure time did you see this? - i was looking at that one at 10 from Ljubljana via Nova Gorica on the 27th March. Just to be sure, whatever is said on the oebb.at so still the passes cover the whole trip from Ljubljana to Verona, right?

Ok, i will buy the adaptor.

37,60 is per person?

And if we want to travel around in Liechtenstein with local buses, is this included in this price? I couldn't find any hop on and off buses for Liechtenstein, so what is your suggestion for getting around in Liechtenstein?