Solved

planning a trip

Show first post

156 replies

Badge +2

How to find out if the train has a guaranteed connection?

I was having in mind the following connection

1. Ljubljana - Jesenice - Nova Gorica - there is only 8 min in Jesenice
  2. Spiez - Zweisimmen - Montreux - there is only 3 min in Zweisimmen

If we should choose between 

Visp - Spiez  (through the 35 km Lötschberg Tunnel) or

Visp - Birg - Spiez 

what would you reccomend?

Is this tunnel like very claustrophobic?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I do not know Jesenice station but as far as I can see there are 2 platforms and 3 tracks. It will be an easy connection and I'm almost certain that the second train will wait for the Ljubljana train even with 10 min or more delay. The trains are timed for these connections. Don't worry.

For the change in Zweisimmen it's very easy from platform 6 to 5. 90% of the people from Spiez will take the Montreux train. It is a guaranteed conmection. (In an extreme case the next connection would be 1h later)

Visp - Spiez direct is 20 min fully in a tunnel. There are lights in the train ofc so I don't think it would feel too claustrophobic.

But the Visp - Brig - Spiez option is very scenic so I'd rather choose that one. You slowly climb on one side of the Rhone Valley. Here's what it looked like last Saturday (my picture) :

Badge +2

Brig - Spiez  1h08 - i could not find that one on sbb. 

it`s either 46” IC6 or 1h21” RE?

so which one to take?

Badge +2

it`s really very scenic, we take that one.

You travel a lot, I am assuming.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I assume it is 1h19 or 1h21 because it shows connections between Brig Bahnhofplatz and Spiez, Bahnhof so it includes the walking time from the front of the station to the platform.

If you check from 10:36 to 11:44 there is 1h08 travel time. Every other hour it leaves at xx:34

Use the hourly RE

I travel a bit around the country on the weekends when I can. This is only 2h from my hometown so it's fine :)

Badge +2

i was just looking on the google map.

Does the train from Brig to Spiez go via Visp?

So maybe we do not need to go from visp to Brig, but directly from Visp to Spiez? or is it only the tunnel one directly from Visp to Spiez?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Only the tunnel direct trains go through Visp.

The old line (scenic one) goes above the valley and above Visp. You'll see where you were an hour earlier from a higher perspective. :)

You need to get to Brig but it is worth the extra time

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Only the tunnel direct trains go through Visp.

The old line (scenic one) goes above the valley and above Visp. You'll see where you were an hour earlier from a higher perspective. :)

You need to get to Brig but it is worth the extra time

I just can follow the suggestion to take the time via Brig and the Lötschberg Hill Route it´s very scenic :) Make sure to get seats on the left side of traveling :) 

Badge +2

Hi again,

i downloaded the app, added tha pass, but did not activate it yet.

Created 2 trips.

I somehow was able to add / connect first trip to my pass, but i can not connect the second. 

Why? how to do it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can only connect 1 single trip to a pass. You'll have to use that one for all trains you use with your pass.

Badge +2

I was watching the instruction video on interrail.eu and my understanding was that I have to create separate trip for each day , altso first create all the journeys for that day and then add all them to the trip and create from the trip a day tickets.

If not how to create the day tickets if all journeys from all 10 days will be under the same trip?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If not how to create the day tickets if all journeys from all 10 days will be under the same trip?

The app handles it for you. It will generate a new ticket (QR code) for each travel day.

Badge +2

Ok, thanks.

Btw, if I can only connect 1 single trip to a pass, why is it possible to create more then 1 trip in the app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Btw, if I can only connect 1 single trip to a pass, why is it possible to create more then 1 trip in the app?

You can have multiple passes in the app, for multiple people travelling together, or for yourself, for multiple passes.

Badge +2

ok, now I got.

Nevertheless, I just tried to add a trip from Munchen to Ljubljana on the 8th July at 8.16. I know the connection exists, because I already booked the seats on the oebb.at. But I can not find this connection in the app. How to add it, if I can not find it in the app?

Is creating the ticket option in my trip first avalaible when the pass is activated? I can not find this option in my trip yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Nevertheless, I just tried to add a trip from Munchen to Ljubljana on the 8th July at 8.16. I know the connection exists, because I already booked the seats on the oebb.at. But I can not find this connection in the app. How to add it, if I can not find it in the app?

Just wait. There's no need to add journeys such a long time in advance. The rail planner app does not have updates frequently enough to be reliable and here you have an example. On the travel day, the timetable will probably have been updated. If not, you can still add the missing train(s) manually.

Is creating the ticket option in my trip first avalaible when the pass is activated?

That is correct.

Badge +2

Hi again, 

one more question. 

What is the best way to get from Geneva to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc and/or to Mont Blanc itself?

cheers viking

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The fastest way (2h41), almost hourly :

- Genève - St-Gervais-les-Bains-Le-Fayet : at some hours with an extra change in Annemasse

- St-Gervais-les-Bains-Le-Fayet - Chamonix-Mont-Blanc (the French do love long station names !)

The other way (3h35), hourly :

- Genève - Martigny

- Martigny - Vallorcine

- Vallorcine - Chamonix-Mont-Blanc

You could do a round-trip so you see different scenery :) sbb.ch/SBB app will give you accurate info (sncf-connect.com should too)

Edit : it looks like there are buses too which are way faster (1h30) but I can't help. They're not included in Interrail obviously.

Badge +2

thank you.

I will try with busses then.

I am assuming you have been to Geneve many times. 

What would you reccomend to see / visit apart from Cerm?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes I don't live too far away from Geneva. :)

I actually went there mainly for shopping and museums. Here's my top 3 :

- Botanical Garden

- Jet d'Eau (of course)

- MEG (Musée d'ethnographie) : big and truly interesting collection. Also very refreshing in summer :)

I'm sure there are plenty other sights

Badge +2

thanks

Badge +2

Hi again,

I was checking on internet and got confused. Maybe you can help me.

How to get from Chamonix-Mont-Blanc to Mont Blanc peak. Altso is there a cabinlift or something to get as close as possible to peak itself?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Mont Blanc is a very challenging mountain, there’s no cable car up to there. Closest you can get is to take the cable car to Aiguille du Midi ( +/- 3800 m), and the use Panoramic Mont Blanc cable car to get good views.

But, expensive to get there more than a 100 Eur for an adult.

Badge +2

I was reading about the cable cars and ( like almost always ) got confused.

Is  the cable car to Aiguille du Midi and the Panoramic Mont Blanc cable car the same or they 2 different route?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Structurally they are 2 different cable cars, but you can buy a ticket for the whole lot.