Solved

Ticket Reservation Confusion (first time Eurailer)

• 16 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello! I am trying to get from Austria to Venice in March. I found a direct route that states that I need to purchase a seat reservation from Villach Hbf to Venezia Santa Lucia but when I went to do so on my computer only a paper ticket is available. Since I would much prefer a mobile ticket I followed advice I saw on a separate forum and went to the Czech Rail website to see if I could purchase a seat reservation there. The confusing thing though is that when I found the exact same route for my journey it said, “no restrictions on the route.” I’m wholly unsure which information I should trust, could I even still use my eurail pass for this route if I don’t purchase a reservation since it’s from the eurail site itself that’s stating I need said reservation? I don’t know if opting for a paper ticket would be a safer option as I’m worried about it not arriving at my hostel in time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read this. 💓

icon

Best answer by Hektor 16 February 2023, 06:18

View original

5 replies

from the Czech Rail site^

With an Eurail pass (I assume you hold one) you don't need a reservation, but a supplement. 

The supplement is called Tarvisioverkehr Pass 1 and will cost 10 € per person.

It's possible to buy it here: https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en/ticket/timetable?cref=oebb-allgemein. Choose Eurail as discount and choose One way tickets and day tickets

It's possible to buy a seat reservation, too - but this is optional. 

You'll get it as PDF.

So both of your sources are partly true and partly not. You do need anything, but you don't need a reservation, you do need a supplement. And ČD can't know that you hold a railpass wothout telling them - with a normal ticket you wouldn't need anything and that is what is shown. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If however, on cd.cz, you add Eurail or Interrail as a discount, then you'll get the supplement for CZK 245 (€10.35) and a reservation for free.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If however, on cd.cz, you add Eurail or Interrail as a discount, then you'll get the supplement for CZK 245 (€10.35) and a reservation for free.

Although there is a small fee the same is true if you book via OEBB, you get both the supplement and a reservation when you add Interrail/Eurail as your discount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Although there is a small fee the same is true if you book via OEBB, you get both the supplement and a reservation when you add Interrail/Eurail as your discount.

Yes, but with a second class pass you pay 3€ extra for the reservation. In first class you get it since last timetable change for free if you book via ÖBB.