Traveling in Baltic area (busses with discounts and route suggestions)

• 29 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello! Thanks a lot for your service 🙂

I have a question. We have interrail pass (1 month of traveling) and we have a few questions.

1) When I activate my pass in mobile app, will it automaticly generate QR code of the ticket? I know, that I need to reserve the train in the app, but I mean, when sth happens and we need to quickly run into another train and don't manage to reserve it in the app, is there still possibility, that I have my ticket in the app and I can show it to the ticket person in the train without previous booking of the train?

2) We will be also traveling in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. There your app is not working. But we found out, that you have some discount on bus tickets for example. Can you please tell me, how I can use this discount? I was trying to book some ride with company we should have discount, but I couldn't find some space do add the discount. Or can you please tell me the best travel opportunities from Tallinn to Riga and then from Riga to Vilnius, that are included in your pass?

3) Last question is if you can suggest some good route (bus/train/both) from Vilnius to Warsaw, that is also at least partly included in your pass? Thanks a lot, if you will answer me, it is going to be really big help for us

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

1.once a trip has been added-you get QR code-add more trips same day and same QR code will appear.

2.there are NO discounts for buses there-these are cheap enough already if youre from the west,

3.read seat61.com for what as such is possible-in case you really want to save a few € and loose whole day- to go by train Tln->Rg, and NOT at all Rg→ Vns-just be sensible, do not overhook what may seem discount but probably still makes you pay more as other bus

Vns->Waw: ONLY weekends till early sept, via Kauno-Bialystok (and perhaps also Suwalki)-the PKP/IC to Waw, MUST RES PKP-can onyl be done at Bia at counter-and expect it to be full.

Again same: it will cost not much this way-except a passday, but will take about double the time of direct bus and youre tied to just 1 and only connection. AND the bus can also run overnight-the wet dream of most passholders.

Thanks for your answer.

We will try our best to plan the trip. But still, you left me with few more questions. How do you know, there are no discounts? For example on eurrail/interrail website I found this: “Eurail and Interrail Pass holders benefit from a 20% discount on Lux Express Bus service” So there is discount on bus. I was asking, how can I use the discount. Or if there is better not to pre-book the travel (e.g. Tallinn → Riga) and go directly to bus station and buy the ticket here, so tell me and I will do that :) (You see, I’m using pass for the first time and I really need to be prepared).
Other question is, if its not possible to go directly to bus station and buy ticket, do you recommend any app for searching the routes (train/bus/both)?

And then, we are going on Eurotrip, so we are sleeping in many cities including Tallin, Riga and Vilnius, thats why we don’t want to travel directly Tallin → Vilnius.

And last question… I unfortenately don!t understand this: “MUST RES PKP-can onyl be done at Bia at counter”  Especially, what “MUST RES PKP” mean.

Thanks a lot

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for your answer.

We will try our best to plan the trip. But still, you left me with few more questions. How do you know, there are no discounts? For example on eurrail/interrail website I found this: “Eurail and Interrail Pass holders benefit from a 20% discount on Lux Express Bus service” So there is discount on bus. I was asking, how can I use the discount. Or if there is better not to pre-book the travel (e.g. Tallinn → Riga) and go directly to bus station and buy the ticket here, so tell me and I will do that :) (You see, I’m using pass for the first time and I really need to be prepared).
Other question is, if its not possible to go directly to bus station and buy ticket, do you recommend any app for searching the routes (train/bus/both)?

And then, we are going on Eurotrip, so we are sleeping in many cities including Tallin, Riga and Vilnius, thats why we don’t want to travel directly Tallin → Vilnius.

And last question… I unfortenately don!t understand this: “MUST RES PKP-can onyl be done at Bia at counter”  Especially, what “MUST RES PKP” mean.

Thanks a lot

Use the code “Eurail0rw8o” on the website and you should get 20% discount.
Buses are usually crowded and often sold out (at least when I used them between Vilnius-Riga-Tallinn), so better to book online. At the station NO discount.

Search bus routes on luxexpress, ecolines and flixbus. I’d recommend luxexpress.

Trains… check on the local railway company websites

@mcadv is unfortunately not able to write a full sentence. He means that for the train from Bialystok in Poland to Warszawa you will need a reservation. This can be bought online for maybe 0,25€. (intercity.pl)

From Vilnius to Bialystok no reservation needed AFAIK

Thanks for your answer @MartinM . I was just blind and didn’t see the promocode space. Hopefully, the trip will end up well.