Travelling in Scotland

• 18 March 2022
  • 4 replies

I am planning a trip to Scotland this summer and want to travel from Edinburgh to Inverness. I am wondering if that is a direct line or if there are any stops in between where I can spend the night, still included in the Interrail Global Pass. Thank you in advance!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are direct trains and some connections with a change. Please check www.nationalrail.co.uk for timetables in Great Britain.

Interrail is valid on all these trains. If you spend the night somewhere, you will of course need an extra travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is a direct route via central valleys-ev 2 hr direct, in between with 1 change and 1 more roundabout route along the coast=change Aberdeen. So be smart and combine for more views!

HM has her summer castle in Balmoral somewhere along the inland line.

Thanks you guys!

So it is even possible to have a travel day from edinburgh to inverness for example, but along the way to have breaks at other stops, and to travel further with the next train, al within the same travel day? So then I can visit several stops, but not in multiple days. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So it is even possible to have a travel day from edinburgh to inverness for example, but along the way to have breaks at other stops, and to travel further with the next train, al within the same travel day?

Sure you can. On a travel day, you can use as many trains as you like.