Trips from London to other European cities - duration and tips

Hey all,

I’m planning on doing a lot of train traveling in March 2023. I really don’t care if I’m on the Eurail for a long time, since I am just trying to be in these countries for a little bit and say that I’ve been to all of these countries. I have never been to Europe. It will be my first time next year, traveling solo!

This is what I really want to do, but I realize that I may not be able to. I already have a permanent place near Wembley Stadium in the London, UK area. 

My yellow highlights are the places I really want to visit, take some cool pictures, walk around, get some food, soak up the scenery, and call it. I’ll be in Europe for 9ish days. Mostly exploring London.  

European Countries I want to go to for a 1-day trips (mostly being on the Eurail)

1. London to Paris & Paris to London
  2. London to Madrid & Madrid to London
  3. London to Lisbon & Lisbon to London
  4. London to Dublin & Dublin to London
  • Do any of you know where I can find info about how long these 1-day trips would be?
  • These are just ideas, nothing set in stone. I wanted to get some opinions from people who have done these routes before. 

Thank you!

-Adam 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh dear-ever looked at a map?

Go to this site: seat61.com. It describes into finest detail about any feasible overland+sea trip from UK/LON to about all countries in EUR. So you can find that it is with a start if that train comes again @ 6.00 to maybe reach MADrid by midnight. A railPASS needs you also to reserve each & every hi-speed train incl. this €*=only train via the chunnel ´to the continent´ and every ride is an addit. 30€-even more for direct superfast TGV trains FRance-ESpana.

YOu may be able to sleep for ´free´ but the additional cost to return to this overpriced city with/near that footsy stadium will cost you much, much more $$$$ as staying in simple hotels/hoStels during the trip.

Haha, I have not yet looked at a map for the European trains. The websites also make it kind of unclear where exactly to locate the maps. I wanted to get someone’s opinion about that first. Thank you for the info! 

Your info definitely narrows it down for me. I may consider just doing 1-2 nearby countries by the U.K., instead of Spain. Ireland & France or Ireland & Belgium. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You know that you have to take a ferry to Ireland? With Eurail you get a discount on the ferry. You can read more about that here:

https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/interrail-passes/pass-benefits/ireland/

I didn’t know that. It’s really not that clear on their website. Good thing I asked the community about these topics. Do you know the total cost of the ferry round trip?

Thank you for the info. Big help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I didn’t know that. It’s really not that clear on their website. Good thing I asked the community about these topics. Do you know the total cost of the ferry round trip?

Thank you for the info. Big help! 

You need to check the cost of the ferry on the website of the ferry company. The price will depend on which ferry line you take and when you travel.