Skip to main content
Solved

Bernina Express

• 14 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi Eurail Angels:

I’m doing research for future (no date set yet) travel on the Bernina Express. Travel direction not decided yet. I know it’s either Tirano to Chur or Chur to Tirano.

Question 1: I read on Seat61 page that you can try to book cheaper, legitimate ticket on German Railways (Deutsche Bahn) site. I wanted to know if I buy such ticket, do I still need a seat reservatoin?

I understand that if I want to sit in the seats in the Allegra unit (that’s hauling the Bernina Express) then I don’t need seat reservation.

Question 2: If I want to purchase seats in the Allegra unit (as mentioned above), do I use https://www.sbb.ch/ to make the purchse? 

How can I tell it’s part of the Bernina Express? Do I just pay attention to PE950 or 952 (summer Tirano to Chur) & PE 951 or 955 (summer Chur to Tirano). And of course ignore the seat reservation part as I’ll be sitting in the first-come first serve Allegra part of the Bernina Express train. 

Question 3: If I want to take regional trains instead of Bernina Express. Would the following trains with 1 stop in Samedan, 1 stop in Pontresina be an example to take? They are local so no seat reservation needed. (see screenshot below)

Question 4: Can I find out the length of each stop on Bernina Express? Say to take a photo of the red train or sites if time permitting. 

Thank you in advance. 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hey

Answer 1 
For the panoramic carriages you would still need a reservation with the Tickets of DB :) 

Answer 2 
You can reserve via SBB.ch but in my opinion its not needed :) for the Allegrapart and yeah just look for the PE Trainnumbers :) 

Answer 3 
Yeah thats the standard fast Route to Tirano :) You can go with one Change via St.Moritz (will be one hour longer as the route with 2 changes) 
Note in Summer season some of the Regionaltrains across the Bernina St.Moritz to Tirano have Cabrio Carriages the ultimative Panoramic Carriage as you get the fresh air & easy pictures. If you travel on the allegra unit look for seats with a openable window usually every 2nd window can be opened. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey

Answer 1 
For the panoramic carriages you would still need a reservation with the Tickets of DB :) 

Answer 2 
You can reserve via SBB.ch but in my opinion its not needed :) for the Allegrapart and yeah just look for the PE Trainnumbers :) 

Answer 3 
Yeah thats the standard fast Route to Tirano :) You can go with one Change via St.Moritz (will be one hour longer as the route with 2 changes) 
Note in Summer season some of the Regionaltrains across the Bernina St.Moritz to Tirano have Cabrio Carriages the ultimative Panoramic Carriage as you get the fresh air & easy pictures. If you travel on the allegra unit look for seats with a openable window usually every 2nd window can be opened. 

Thank you @seewulf I have some more questions

Question to your  “Answer 2”

I’m not clear on what you mean by “reserve”.  Do I buy the train ticket for seats in the Allegra unit on German Railways (Deutsche Bahn) site or SBB.ch site? 

Thank you for the tips on the Cabrio Carriages info & where to look for openable windows on the Allegra unit. 👍

Question to your “Answer 3”

1. Fast route to Tirano: does that mean it’s not good to take? Wil it offer similar scenic views as the Bernina Express?
  2. Chur to Tirano via St Moritz: it’s 1 hour longer, why would one consider this longer train because it has only 1 transfer?  Backup choice in case I can’t get ticket for the fast train? Or does this train offer even better view? 

I had a Question 4 that got “hidden” by the screenshot: Can I find out the length of each stop on Bernina Express? Say to take a photo of the red train or sites if time permitting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As you are asking questions in the Eurail Community. If you travel with a Eurail pass, you don't buy a ticket for your travel as the Eurail pass is your ticket.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank you @seewulf I have some more questions

Question to your  “Answer 2”

I’m not clear on what you mean by “reserve”.  Do I buy the train ticket for seats in the Allegra unit on German Railways (Deutsche Bahn) site or SBB.ch site? 
You said you wanna secure seats = reservation. Tickets is a own story either you use a Railpass (like Eurail / Interrail or Swiss TravelPass) or a ordinary point to point ticket (as you read on seat 61 with the cheaper DB trick) 

​​​​​The reservation for the allegra unit can be done via Sbb.ch (In my opinion not needed) 
The reservation for the Panoramic Carriages can be done on rhb.ch :)  

Thank you for the tips on the Cabrio Carriages info & where to look for openable windows on the Allegra unit. 👍

Question to your “Answer 3”

1. Fast route to Tirano: does that mean it’s not good to take? Wil it offer similar scenic views as the Bernina Express?
  2. Chur to Tirano via St Moritz: it’s 1 hour longer, why would one consider this longer train because it has only 1 transfer?  Backup choice in case I can’t get ticket for the fast train? Or does this train offer even better view? 
  1. Its almost the same route just have a look on the map the fast route goes (Chur) Samedan - Pontresina (Tirano)
    The “slower” one goes via St.Moritz you still pass Samedan & Pontressina. Samedan,Pontressina, St,Moritz form a triangle the fast route take the direct way and the connections are optimized for that while the slow Route takes the longer way (and because of that you catch the train one hour later across the BerninaPass compared to the fast Route) 

2.) The fast Route with 2 changes cant sell out these are regionaltrains = no reservation (only groups can reserve) dont get messed with Ticket = your right to travel on a section and Reservation = a guranteed seat for you on a certain train 

I had a Question 4 that got “hidden” by the screenshot: Can I find out the length of each stop on Bernina Express? Say to take a photo of the red train or sites if time permitting. 

The Bernina Express (direct train without any change) itself have a 15mins break in AlpGrüm (to get some photos) 

The regular trains with 1 or 2 changes along the route stop just for getting of & getting on. But you can decide on your own to have a break at a scenic Stop like Ospizio Bernina or AlpGrüm and catch the next train 1hr later :) 

In General i prefer to take the regionaltrains along the route. 

I wrote my answers in red directly after the question thought it might be easier :) 
I wrote 3 years ago a small post for Bernina & Glacier Express with regionaltrains 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

AFAIK the Allegra unit doesn't have reservations at all (whether through SBB or RhB).

There are always plenty of seats so don't worry about that, simply hop on and sit wherever you want. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

AFAIK the Allegra unit doesn't have reservations at all (whether through SBB or RhB). In March i had a family that managed to get reservations for the Allegra Unit of the Bernina Express  but yes they had valid reservations done via SBB :D 

There are always plenty of seats so don't worry about that, simply hop on and sit wherever you want. :) Yeah no need to reserve as plenty of seats are still free 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you @seewulf for the replies and the link to your post. 

Thank you @AnnaB as I’m still researching, I have not decided whether to get a pass or just to buy tickets. 

Thank you @thibcabe for your comment about the no reservation needed on the Allegra unit.