Solved

Bratislava to Split, trouble making reservations

Hello everyone,

I’ll be travelling with interrail this summer, together with my friends, and we’re looking at the different ways of reaching Split from Bratislava/Vienna. The easiest way would be using the Euronight train going Bratislava-Vienna-Split, but I can’t find any way of booking reservations on the train for a lower price than the ticket itself. 

ÖBB, which is the only site where I find tickets to the train, doesn’t change the price when the interrail/eurail discount is chosen. Is this night train not included in the pass/sold out on pass holder seats, or is there a way to get reservations without paying for a whole ticket? If there isn’t, what are the other options for a (low-cost) connection between these cities using only one travel day? From what I can tell, there’s night trains from Zagreb and Budapest to Split, but these seem even harder to book reservations for. 

I’ve been looking specifically at the train departing 28th of June, but this appears to be the case for other dates as well. 

Any help/input/suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 4 May 2022, 19:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The price for Interrail users for this train is very high (and not like Nightjets). 

It can happen, that a Sparschiene (Saver Ticket) cost less than a standard ticket with Interrail Discount (Reservation). This will be in your case. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There's also a night train Budapest - Split. See this post for details.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

AND there is the (only 1 or 2/week ) direct RegioJet train (coming of Praha) to Split-book direct on their site. Though this RJ (very nice comfy yellow trains) accepts passes- NOT for this holidaymaker train. A fare may again be a lot cheaper as passday+extra.

Also note that Spl is really the end of the line and if you want to come back only on rails it means same way at least till zagreb.

If this is the l trip you intend to make, then forget a pass.

@mcadv The passes are covered by DiscoverEU, so skipping the pass is not really an option. But I’ll consider buying this as a normal ticket and saving a travel day for later.

We were planning on continuing from Split to Ljubljana with day trains, which looks reasonable in the rail planner app. Passing through Zagreb twice is not terrible, but not ideal. I’ll also look into opting for some place further north, like Rijeka/Pula/Koper.

Thanks to everyone for the help!