Solved

Budapest - Prague Night train reservation on MAV (Hungarian website) - no interrail discount available

I am trying to make a reservation from Budapest to Prague by the night train.

On the Hungarian website MAV, when I added the interrail pass to my train cards, the price for a 2nd class seat reads 58.9EUR, and i believe there is no discount at all (the same price as without the interrail pass): 

(btw what is this 57.9eur “europa flex cz” thing? there is no way to deselect it.)

I tried to book on the CZ website as well, but there is no 2nd class seat option. So how do i correctly reserve a 2nd class seat for the Budapest - Prague night train?

Cheers, 

Terry

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 31 May 2022, 13:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just go to a ticket office. Should also work in Switzerland.

I'm not sure if there's a though seating coach though. That could be the reason why CD doesn't offer a seat reservation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As like in most-nearly all cases, you canNOT just book seat/bed without also buying ticket online. This would open the doors wide to fraud by ´misunderstanding´.

As though it seems this rather basic knowledge has never reached yet the mindset of the new wave of rail-newbees:  on stations there are offices which do such things for you. And NO-trains are not all fully booked weeks ahead.

In the past it was dead easy to find advance 19€ seats for this train. Yes, there are also seated cars-but as this train stands for a few hrs in Breclav (and gets shunted with a train from Wien and portions to also Krakowa-Warszawy) and this may mean its in fact faster to change there to an earlier other train.

Just go to a ticket office. Should also work in Switzerland.

I'm not sure if there's a though seating coach though. That could be the reason why CD doesn't offer a seat reservation.

thanks, i’ll check at the ticket office in person.