Skip to main content

I’ve tried planning my route using the rail planner app but can’t seem to find any night trains. Some of the train journeys I’ve chosen are quite long (7-8hrs) and no option for a night train is available. I don’t really want to be going on long journeys during the day so a night train is the best option, does anyone know how to find a night train if it doesn’t show on the app or anything that means I don’t have to travel long hours during the day. Thanks. 

Which route do you want to go? In the last years there is a revival of Nighttrains. But some areas still hasn't got back nighttrains.

Many countries simply do not have ANY nighttrain. Also you did not tell us if that 7-8 hrs was in 1 train or with more changes.

If you google ´nighttrain in Europe´ or similar or even via wiki, you may find more hints as to what trips do still have those. Mostly it is in East-Europe. Inside Germany=DE there are some but these have seats only, normal daytime trains=ICE.

Also note that even with a pass you will most likely have to make extra REServations for all of them, even for just seats and this may cost quite a lot-sometimes even more as a night in a cheaper hoStel.

Esp. the new set of NightJet trains, based on Austria. Often even a full ticket booked online on a BUS can be cheaper as the supplmt you have to pay for those trains!

A non comprehensive list of Nighttrains in Europe (Not all existing trains are listed and some listed trains doesnt exist anymore 😕 ) https://rail.cc/interrail-night-train

Which route do you want to go? In the last years there is a revival of Nighttrains. But some areas still hasn't got back nighttrains.

My route is Zurich-Paris-Brussels- Berlin-Prague-Karkow- Vienna- Bratislava- Budapest- Zagreb- Bled 

Many countries simply do not have ANY nighttrain. Also you did not tell us if that 7-8 hrs was in 1 train or with more changes.

If you google ´nighttrain in Europe´ or similar or even via wiki, you may find more hints as to what trips do still have those. Mostly it is in East-Europe. Inside Germany=DE there are some but these have seats only, normal daytime trains=ICE.

Also note that even with a pass you will most likely have to make extra REServations for all of them, even for just seats and this may cost quite a lot-sometimes even more as a night in a cheaper hoStel.

Esp. the new set of NightJet trains, based on Austria. Often even a full ticket booked online on a BUS can be cheaper as the supplmt you have to pay for those trains!

It’s with multiple change overs.

My route is Zurich-Paris-Brussels- Berlin-Prague-Karkow- Vienna- Bratislava- Budapest- Zagreb- Bled 

Of those journeys, only Prague-Krakow and Krakow-Vienna are currently served by night trains.

For Berlin-Prague, Vienna-Bratislava, Bratislava-Budapest, Budapest-Zagred and Zagreb-Bled the distances are simply too short for night trains to be viable, while for the Zurich-Paris and Paris-Brussels routes the operators’ focus is instead on high-speed trains.

On this route, the nighttrain you can use is krakow-vienna and maybe between Prague and Krakow. 

Zurich-Paris (High speed train TGV Lyria)

Paris-Brussels (In 1,5h with Thalys) 

Brussels-Berlin (very long, but no nighttrain. ICE to Cologne and change then to ICE to Berlin), maybe it would be a service from Brussel to Berlin and Prague, but I don’t think it would be part of Interrail.)

Berlin-Prague Eurocity Service about 4 hours

Prague-Karkow (maybe Nighttrain of Leoexpress (but only seats) and a classic nighttrain of CD)

Karkow- Vienna Nighttrain

Vienna- Bratislava local train service very short

Bratislava - Budapest Eurocity service

Budapest - Zagreb a bit long Eurocity service

Zagreb - Bled Eurocity service

You could change a bit your route and try to get the Nighttrain from Zurich to Bled or Nighttrain from Budapest/Vienna to Berlin or Vienna to Paris/Brussel.

On this route, the nighttrain you can use is krakow-vienna and maybe between Prague and Krakow. 

Zurich-Paris (High speed train TGV Lyria)

Paris-Brussels (In 1,5h with Thalys) 

Brussels-Berlin (very long, but no nighttrain. ICE to Cologne and change then to ICE to Berlin), maybe it would be a service from Brussel to Berlin and Prague, but I don’t think it would be part of Interrail.)

Berlin-Prague Eurocity Service about 4 hours

Prague-Karkow (maybe Nighttrain of Leoexpress (but only seats) and a classic nighttrain of CD)

Karkow- Vienna Nighttrain

Vienna- Bratislava local train service very short

Bratislava - Budapest Eurocity service

Budapest - Zagreb a bit long Eurocity service

Zagreb - Bled Eurocity service

You could change a bit your route and try to get the Nighttrain from Zurich to Bled or Nighttrain from Budapest/Vienna to Berlin or Vienna to Paris/Brussel.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. For the Vienna- Bratislava, Bratislava- Budapest, Budapest- Zagreb, Zagreb- Bled is it still included in the interrail ticket, but you just don’t need a reservation for it? 

Vienna - Bratislava is a 1hour regionaltrain (Reservation not possible)
Bratislava - Budapest no reservation needed but possible 🙂 and in Summer recommened
Budapest - Zagreb reservation compulsory price arround 3-5€
Zagreb - Bled no reservation needed but possible :)